Please help me choose a external hardrive

Pusha, looks like a good deal to me. It's well under $1 per gig, so that's very reasonable. I know Rokket just got an external HD, but can't remember what brand. You might try a search if you want to see what other brands are going for, and check some comparisons on performance. I just don't see you getting a better deal, unless someone has something bad to say about the drive you are looking at. If I needed one, I'd definitly consider this one.
Ed

That's the HDD I'm looking to get, but just for backup/archiving files, so performance/speed isn't much of an issue for me. The price is good as I've been researching these for a couple of weeks. Don't be scared of opening up your PC. Do you have a local friend to help if you need it? Internal drives are much cheaper and offer better performance, especially if you're using them for audio work (and not just backup/archiving)

The drive you linked to looks good, and there's a $30 rebate on it.

I have a Western Digital external that I record multitrack to and it works great. The specs are about the same as the drive you're looking at.

TimOBrien said:
For an extra $60 more I'm getting a Glyph firewire drive from sweetwater. The cases have extra sound treatment for silent running and the company specs stuff to run heavy data flows for audio and video.

I've heard the Glyph drives are optimized for streaming audio and are top of the line. I'm in the same boat as Gordone, I'm using a Micronet that was about $130 for 160 gigs, but all I do is copy my project files over to the Micronet and save them for archiving purposes.

gordone said:
That's the HDD I'm looking to get, but just for backup/archiving files, so performance/speed isn't much of an issue for me. The price is good as I've been researching these for a couple of weeks. Don't be scared of opening up your PC. Do you have a local friend to help if you need it? Internal drives are much cheaper and offer better performance, especially if you're using them for audio work (and not just backup/archiving)

no i dont have anybody around me, that has done it before. do they give you instructions with harddrive on how to install it.

btw thanks everybody for your help.

ps. mad audio what kind of western digital drive is it, do you have a link?

Back