Please help me check out a '67 ES-330.

ap

Someone wants to trade me a '67 sunburst es-330 for my beloved '69 Honda s65 motorcycle. I checked the "blue book" and the value could be comparable, but I'm not sure what to look for as far as trouble spots, how to verify age, authenticity, serial #, etc. I haven't seen it yet and I'd like to know what to look for when I do. This is my first experience with a vintage(?) or valuable instrument so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Even general info on old gibsons would probably help so if you don't know anything about 330's, please tell what you do know!

Yo, thanks! That helps alot. How probable is it that the serial # is there? If not, how much would that decrease the value?

If it's as old as you say it is, the number should be stamped into the headstock. If it's not there, someone must have sanded it off and it's likely got a checkered past.

You have to be careful about old guitars. There are a lot of fakes out these days and you wouldn't beleave the lengths that they go to to make then look old. If the guitar looks like it's been through hell, then you MAY be on to something. Ask the guy where he got it and how long he's had it.

Before you buy it you should read THIS.

Back