Please help me before I throw MY PC out the window...(CWPA9.03 dropouts)

Bassman

Hello,

I know this is a common HELP me! but I am frustrated and tired of looking and searching for answers.

Hardware:
P2400
SBlive
Delta66
ATI All-in-wonder Pro
DVD-rom
CD-rw
Ethernet card
Adaptec UDMA controller
Maxtor UDMA 66 7200rpm drive. 20 Gig partiioned 10/10

Software,
Win 98 se
Direct x7
MS office
Cakewalk9.03
some other stuff(not too much)

I have used this very setup for 3 years, no problems. About 2 months ago, Win98 gave up on me. I have a habit of installing everything under the sun and I guess it caught up to me.

So, I did the old trusty format C: and started from scratch. I carefully loaded only just what I need to get email, surf and Record music. No games or nonsense. It was working OK, but was getting dropouts on some projects. In fact I loaded bun files of stuff I did when I had tons of crap running and they won't play through without dropouts.

Today, I started something new, and cannot record more than 4 tracks. I have checked just about everything I can think of such as DMA settings, making sure nothing is running in the background, defragging, trying to record 16 bits instead of 24.

The interesting thing is it seems to happen around the same place in the song.As I was recording track 4 It was cruising along at 1-3% Disk Util but as the song plays it jump up to ~50% in some places. Then it Suddenly stopped and said "Cannot save entire recording Audio disk maybe full" Now I have 3.99 GIg availible so this is not the case. Anybody know what this can be?

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks, good info I will definatley try them all, the only thing that bugs me is that it is on such a small # of tracks and I never had to take measures such as this to get medium performance out of my system.

Keep you posted on my results.

...sounds to me like you've got a driver problem. If you're still having problems, make sure all the drivers in your system are the correct ones (even video drivers, etc.. and things that don't have anything to do with audio or disk). If you've re-installed Win98, your system could be struggling with a driver it doesn't like.

hey, thanks... it seems that upon blowing everything away and re-installing, the vcache settings were never populated. I added them and all seems fine. (still want a faster PC though..lol)

Back