Please help im lost???

Deadboyy

OK,,,,, I use to think I had everything figured out. I got the list of equipment I thought I would need to get quality recording on my PC,,, at last got the money and BAM!!! I read about word clock and keeping my signals in sync and a whole lot of stuff like that I never considered........Made me realize how much of a newbie I am....

So here's my problem,,,I have a chain of equipment that I figured out I needed ,, (1) RNC Compressor,,(2) Mic Pre Amp,,(3) Lucid a/d 2496 Converter,,(4) Delta dio 2496 soundcard....

I don't know how to chain them together,,,,I dont know which order they need to go to get the sound from my amp/mic to get into my soundcard and on the hard disk??? And my biggest question is do I need a word clock master? or does word clock just matter with adat's and synth equipment???

I know I probly sound pretty stupid,,,, but can someone please help?

Word clock is a good thing. When tying together multiple pieces of digital gear it keeps everthing on the same page and depending on which clock you use (Lucid, Apogee...) a more stable clock than what is in most gear. If you're using ADATs and you want to do word clock you need to have a BRC remote, as that's where the clock connection is. They run around $1000 and a Lucid Genx about $600.

So here's my problem,,,I have a chain of equipment that I figured out I needed ,, (1) RNC Compressor,,(2) Mic Pre Amp,,(3) Lucid a/d 2496 Converter,,(4) Delta dio 2496 soundcard....

Unless you have many digi pieces to link together, the clock signal within spdif or light pipe works fine. Generally, you want your best device to be the 'master', but more importantlly, only one can be 'master'.
Example, for recording; mic pre to comp, to a/d, to sound card, with the s/c set to look for clock from the a/d's digi out. (Actually, the s/c's digi-in.) (does the Delta also have a/d?) On play back, the Delta could be master ("internal"?). There needs to be a d/a in there somewhere, the delta?
Hope that helps.
see ya
mixsit

Back