Please Help. Im going crazy about this....

stoctony

I spend most of my time in the studio construction site but I need to help of the comp. gurus. I have a decent recording setup as of right now and am pretty happy with it. My weakest link and has always been my souncard. I have been recording with my stock sound card that came with the comp for some time. I have been looking at new cards and breakout boxes and 8 chan I/O. All this stuff. Well im running through a 16 chan mixer. Do I really need an 8 chan card or breakout box and all that stuff? or do I? I dont know. can someone please try to talk me into needing a card with more than one chan or even a breakout box you think I need one of course. I am doing solo acoustic, Thats it. Sometimes I add some bass.... Thanks Guys..... Looking foward to your life saving answers..

Stockton

Unless you need to track more than 2 channels at a time your stereo card would suffice. But if you're serious about recording you should look into a better soundcard, in which case you might as well get additional inputs.

If you're recording more than 1 instrument concurrently, or micing a drumkit, you'll want each mic on its own track. To do that you need a multi input soundcard.
For 4 inputs, have a look at the M-Audio Delta 44. For 8, check out the M-Audio Delta 1010LT.
If you only need to inputs, the M-Audio Audiophile is a good choice

Even if you are running through a mixer you may find that down the road when you have all your tracks together something is a little off. That's why you need to record each mixer track to its own CPU track. When you have a few inst here then record a few there, once you put them together the balances can be way off, especially if any share the same frequency range. If you record more than 1 or 2 tracks at a time you should really think about the upgrade.
-k

You should think about a soundcard with multiple outputs as well. You have a 16 channel mixer right? By assigning each track in the software to its own channel on the mixer, you would be making a significant improvement in sound quality in comparison to doing all your mixing in the pc. Even if you only were able to get a card with 8 outs, you could combine some tracks and still take advantage of the better summing capabilities of a mixer over computer software.

Four outs will work well in your situation.

However, if you can find a card where each out can function as a stereo out or two mono outs, then you could have up to eight mono outs total, which would be great in your case. Just something to think about. Either configuration will work for you.

Back