Please help if you have time

Garry Sharp

Lost Cause
I know it's busy in here.....this is a work in progress and any input gratefully received

I am trying to do a demo for our new band thing. This is my first attempt this time round, I am not showing much talent as a producer, but anyway. This is a laid back, smooth jazzy kind of thing, called Strange Kind of Paradise. It is deliberately minimalist (that's hw we like things) and it is trying to be almost easy listening.

It is the first song on our little Nowhere Radio page here:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=4395&alid=-1

I appreciate that the guitar need redoing, the player wasn't terribly familiar with it, but I am sure there are lots of other blunders I have made that you could help with.

Open season - thanks again.

Garry

Well, for as simple as the drum part is there is some very obvious slop. The vocal sounds a bit muffled or dull, like it was recorded with a cheap mic.

The guitar sound could use a tiny bit of room mic or reverb in my opinion.

Thanks Jake - that was quick...and helpful.

Interesting about the drums, I wonder if its actually my bass playing that's giving that impression. I think I was rushing the bass a bit during the chorus bit. The drums are MIDI triggered samples, and I thought the MIDI timing was quite tight. Or you might be talking about the not very good fills.

On the vox, I always have a problem with harshness on Robbie's voice. I usually use an NTK, but this time I tried with one of her live mic's, a Senn 835, which I must admit thought worked better, but a view from fresh ears is more valuable. I also cut a couple of dB's in the problem areas. Perhaps I overdid it.

The guitar has a little reverb on it, any more was making it too cutting, but I'll try again.

Cheers

Our guitarist says he's going to buy a Blues Junior, so we can mic that shortly. The part on the track is DI'd from a Digitech GNX3.

more cowbell!@!! :D

i sometimes do a part in one of my songs 30 or 50 times (and then it still sucks) don't settle on a performance, it's forever.

The vocal harmonies could be tightened up a bit and so could the drums. And like jake said, the guitar could use some space. Other than that, it sounded pretty durn good.

Giraffe - yes, can't beat a good cowbell :D

Thanks to you and gumplunger for listening and commenting. It all goes into the next version....

Garry Sharp said:
Our guitarist says he's going to buy a Blues Junior,

I bought one of those for the studio.

A great investment it was.

Your mix is ok.

IMO it lacks depth and ambience, like it needs more natural verb happening.

I know thats a pretty general statement, but thats the impression i got.

It does sound like youve improved a bit from what i last heard from you though.

Take care.

Thanks Chris. If you're making comments like that then I definitely feel I have moved on a stage - very helpful. Apart from various tightening, it's time to learn about reverb :)

I'd be interested to hear if you get to the bottom of the vocal sound problem. My fairly uneducated guess is you need something with a bit more detail but with a smooth top end. Unfortunately, they tend to be very expensive!

Maybe the ADK Vienna (or whichever one has the little extra presence bump) would be interesting to try? I've not had a great amount of luck with the E835 or E845 on recording because the top end is a little hypey and makes me come out a bit too sibilant.

The best mic I've sung on is the AT4050 ... perhaps that has the appropriate sound for the open, livey vibe. It might not have the appropriate price tag though. :)

noisedude said:
I'd be interested to hear if you get to the bottom of the vocal sound problem. My fairly uneducated guess is you need something with a bit more detail but with a smooth top end. Unfortunately, they tend to be very expensive!

Maybe the ADK Vienna (or whichever one has the little extra presence bump) would be interesting to try? I've not had a great amount of luck with the E835 or E845 on recording because the top end is a little hypey and makes me come out a bit too sibilant.

The best mic I've sung on is the AT4050 ... perhaps that has the appropriate sound for the open, livey vibe. It might not have the appropriate price tag though. :)

Thanks Nik. The Senn was not as sibilant as the NTK - when I tried moving the Rode to cut the harshness I got nasal-ness instead (if you wouldn't mind, I'd be grateful if you could have a listen to the other song on the site, Writing On The Wall - be interesting to see if you agree).

I don't want to spring for another mic if it's just my incompetence... :rolleyes:

Ok, well the drums are pretty tight on that one!!

Yeah I hear what you're saying - are you using a pop filter for those mics? And one other idea - try putting the mic slightly above mouth height and point it down towards the mouth. That worked for a track I was doing for a friend of mine.

It's a real Echobelly or Flow kinda vocal, I'd be interested to know what kinda mics they used. You see, the second song would probably be a much less neutral sound cos it's poppier, so I'd look at something a bit fizzier. But seriously, demo a 4050 cos it will do most things pretty decently. And you ain't so hard up, are you?

These are just my ears, remember, don't think I can produce better than this in practice!!! :)

Yes, pop filter always (Maplin's finest - £6.99!). I read in Mixing With Your Mind that you should try putting a mic high to reduce harshness, but it didn't sound so good - on Writing the mic was at her throat level, angled up, so she was singing slightly across the top. More practice needed - especially when I see the price of the 4050 - £539!!

Maplin do one for seven quid? I've been looking in the wrong place!

Yeah, 4050s aren't cheap ... I haven't used the C414 very much but I reckon I'd take a 4050 over the flat (bronzey) one though. :eek:

The mic technique is just an idea to try, to tell the truth it sounds crap whenever I try it!!

Listening now. I like the mix. The bass is maybe a tad too powerful/wide?
About the tune itself: Melody in the verse is a tad static. Would be better with some more variation? Variate the 2nd half of the 4liner (or is it 2) for a better listening experience (catchywise).
The prechorus thing is good melody-vise.
The chorus I ain't too sure about. It's ok. But if catchy is your receipt I would try to get it more ... catchy.
The cowbell is a tad too powerful.
But hey, good effort.

Back