Please help?? I will give you my first born child!

Canibus

Yeah so im totally new. I have my condenser mic hooked up to my M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface. Im using cool edit pro Im trying to lay vocals over a beat i guess thats how you would say it. Not a rap beat i made but just a commercial one i downloaded. But i dont even know how to do that. How do i put my vocals over it. Do i put the beat into multi track view. and how do i know if im riding the beat correctly if i cant hear it. I mean i had the beat through my headphones and thought i was doing something wrong because when i played it back. My voice was only heard from the left side. I know i need to probably change it to mono but i couldnt find out where to do that. Also my voice sounds louder or lower than the beat. Is that what mixing and mastering is, making everything sound harmonized. Im sorry im such a newb. dont get mad at me, i did put this in the correct section. Anyways, for most of you, this should be easy.

Doesn't anyone want the child?

Sorry, not helpful.

There's a lot of threads about this already. Do a search:

1.Recording one side only

2.Mono vs. stereo

BTW: I don't need any more kids, thanks though.

staring said:
No more kids, i've got 2+1 already LOL.

How do you hook up your devices?
I hook up my condenser mic to my M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface and then connect that to my comp via USB port. Also, can you just tell me how i would put my vocals over a beat and blend both of those into one track. if thats what you do, idk. please help

I don't know your software in particular, but in principal what you do in any multitracking program is create a new track for each part and then set volume levels and effexts for each track to get the 'mix' you like. Then you export the whole thing either internally to a file like .wav (or whatever format), or to a piece of external gear like a DAT recorder (or whatever).
As far as using a condenser microphone, unless it has built-in power, you need to run phantom power to it, and the Fast Track doesn't supply this.

Also, in the progam, you should be able to set the L&R pan to your likings for each track.

How/where do you have your headphones hooked up?

Dr Biscuits said:
I don't know your software in particular, but in principal what you do in any multitracking program is create a new track for each part and then set volume levels and effexts for each track to get the 'mix' you like. Then you export the whole thing either internally to a file like .wav (or whatever format), or to a piece of external gear like a DAT recorder (or whatever).
As far as using a condenser microphone, unless it has built-in power, you need to run phantom power to it, and the Fast Track doesn't supply this.
my usb interface does give 48v phantom power.

heres a link
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOFTRACKPRO

Creamyapples1 said:
Also, in the progam, you should be able to set the L&R pan to your likings for each track.

How/where do you have your headphones hooked up?
i hook em up to my interface. is that where i should hook em up
heres my interface
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--MDOFTRACKPRO

also, can you guys tell me if its 24 bit or 16 bit by looking at its specs. cause it says 24 bit but then at the bottom it says up to 16 bit.

Yeah, that's probably the best bet.

So to recap: in your program, you should have your beats on a track, or if you make your own, there would most likely be a seperate track for each instrument. Then, you can add another track and record your vocals. I'm not familiar with the software you use, or your interface, but whatever you did that allowed you to listen to your beat, do that with every track you add to the project. Then mix the volumes of each track to your liking. After you get it the way you want it, you should be able to export the file to wav, mp3, whatever, but it'd bump it to a single stereo track.

Looks like it's 24bit to me, I could see where that would confuse someone, I'm not quite sure what that means towards the bottom of the description.

thanks for all the help guys and if anyone could clear up this confusion about the bits, I would be grateful

Just to make it easier on everyone, see below lol

Product Description

The Fast Track Pro delivers all the mobile recording flexibility of the Fast Track USB, plus even more professional features. You get 2 front-panel mic/line inputs complete with phantom power for condenser microphones, inserts for outboard effects balanced and unbalanced analog outputs, S/PDIF digital I/O, MIDI I/O, and more. Fast Track Pro also features near-zero latency direct hardware monitoring and low-latency ASIO software monitoring, plus an A/B source switch and dual output pairs for DJ-style cueing. Fast Track Pro is compatible with most popular PC and Mac music software. USB connection and bus power along with class compliancy for Mac OS X* make it a breeze to set up.

* Class compliancy supports up to 16-bit/48kHz 2 x 4 operation on OS X 10.3.9 and higher. Driver installation required to access more I/O.

Technical Description

24-bit/96kHz audio interface

2 front panel mic/instrument preamp inputs (Neutrik XLR/ 1/4 in. TRS) with:
-gain controls

-signal/peak lights

-pads for each input

-insert jack (1/4 in. TRS) for outboard processors

2 balanced outputs (1/4 in. TRS)

4 unbalanced outputs (RCA)

S/PDIF coaxial I/O with w/ 2-channel PCM

S/PDIF out also supports pass-through of AC-3/DTS surround-encoded content

1 x 1 MIDI I/O with activity LEDs

headphone output (1/4 in. TRS) with level control

headphone A/B source switch for DJ-style cueing

input/playback mix control for hardware direct monitoring

mono switch for input/playback direct monitoring

master output level control

near zero-latency hardware direct monitoring

low-latency ASIO software monitoring

USB connection to computer

powered via USB or optional AC power adapter

Kensington lock port

Mac and PC compatible; class compliant with Mac OS X 10.3.9 and higher

up to 16-bit/48kHz 2 x 4 operation is class-compliant. Driver installation required to access more I/O.

Compatibility:
WDM

ASIO 2

Core Audio

Back