Please help! Echo Mia driver inst problems

Bergen

I keep getting an error when attempting to install echo mia driver saying the "data is invalid". I initially had an older driver (6.04) installed and working properly, but once I tried to install the new 6.08 driver over this, I've had the above problem. I've tried switching PCI slots, doing the manual install, and searching the terms "echo" and "mia" and removing these files (can't remove wmiapci file in driver cabinet). Each time I clear out old files and uninstall the card, restart, install driver, restart and replace card, and let xp try to automatically install drivers. I get the xp compatability warning screen while files are transferring and then get the "data is invalid" message.

I'm running a SOYO K7VMP2 mobo(VIA KM400 chipset) with a Barton 2800+. I will be running a second sb live soundcard for soundfonts that also was installed with the mia without problems before I tried to upgrade the drivers. I'm reaching my wits end here and would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Well, I fixed my problem, and can understand why I didn't get replies to this post since it was a difficult one. I'll describe how I did it so future members searching on this topic might benefit.

The problem came when I tried to install the new drivers without removing my old drivers first. I then got the data is invalid error and spent countless hours of misery trying to troubleshoot this myself and with echo tech support. They even thought it might be my card at one point and suggested I send it in for analysis. But I was able to get it to work again on the computer from which it came, so that wasn't it. Then I got on the phone with Soyo tech support. He spent over an hour on the phone with me, and eventually suggested I format my hard drive and start over since I initially had the soundcard working, suspecting my registry was corrupted beyond the echo registry I had previously cleared out.

While starting the reformat process, I came across an option for Windows XP to fix itself. It seemed to me this might accomplish the same thing as reformatting without wiping out my settings and installed programs. This only took 45 minutes and the echo card installed just fine, with my sb Live and firewire card to follow.

In conclusion, if you're going to install an echo card, install the drivers right the first time and follow the instructions in the manual how to do this. For troubleshooting, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, deleting inf/pnf files, clearing echo registry, and have XP fix itself in that order. I'm not sure if a reformat could accomplish something that the fix option couldn't. And once you got your card working, leave the drivers alone!! I personally don't think it's worth messing with it to get the latest drivers unless this will truly beneft your recordings (new cool display does not count). Best of Luck for those suffering as I did!

Back