Please have a listen

PJH

Hi Guys,

Long time no hear! I've been away for quite a while and have only recently been up and running again.

It's good to see BSabbath, Powderfinger etc are still around.

Basically we have a new band and have recorded a few new songs.

Please have a listen to the new line up with the new singer at:

www.nowhereradio.com/ote/singles

The song is called Off the Edge

I've replaced my ageing Gadget Labs soundcard with an M-Audio Delta 44 card but am still using Cool Edit Pro.

Have also upgraded from Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 to Sonar 2.2.

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

PJH.

You need to take that "members only" download off if you expect to get very many replies.:eek: :)

I hope you single-handedly bring back 70's hard rock!!! I really am digging this tune! Very nice mix. I wasn't crazy about the lead guitar tone. Is it direct? I think some harmonies would have been a nice addition. I can't say much about the recording. It sounds better than anything I could have done!

It's not my cup of tea anymore stylistically, but the quality flat out kicks butt...your getting this sound at home? The guitar work flat out rocks, I really liked the solo lines.

The only thing I can say constructively is to bring the keyboard solo up a bit. It was a bit low at times and the rhythm guitar took over as the focal point.

Other than that....wow!

kickin!!! you got a fine stew cooking with that new band. Structure solid, tight and balanced well, all complimenting and meshing. With that much meat up through the structure I think you could fatten the kick more and bring the bass up a bit, Like a locomotive...run me down.
I really enjoyed Riff Valley as well.

Listening while I type here.

The guitar track needs to come down on the verses. It's the same volume all the way through. Live the guitar player would turn down his knobs during the singing. Then back up during the spaces between vocals.

Solo guitar was a little too buzzy, battery sounding.

Bass and kick worked for me. Maybe a little punchier on the bass. It kind of blended in too much. Snare need more volume or slapback echo, something, it was too muffled sounding.

Cymbals need to open up slightly maybe some high EQd verb a compressor with slow release.

Vocal drier than I like but was done well.

More left hand on the B3 - needs some fat crunching chords during the solo. You got there a couple of times.

All this is nit picking cause I liked it. A whole lot!!

Had a kind of Blood Sweat and Tears thing going there.

I'll go way out on a limb here and say that most of the old farts on this board are gonna love this! Speakin to me man!

bd

Thanks a mill, Kramer, Sydfan, Toki98, Middleman, Bass Master "K" and bdbdbuck,

Kramer, fixed that "members only download" thanks for pointing it out.

I have addressed a few of the pointers on a new mix. I'm not really happy with the solo tone on that track either and will redo it.

I've brought up the Hammond solo tone as well.

I intend to add harmonies later - just not sure where at this stage.

Lastly, yeah I admit there's nothing new here. It's basically 70's rock. What I grew up with, so I like playing and recording it.

It was recorded at home except for the Hammond which was recorded at the keyboard players house. There's no way I'm gonna carry that thing over to my place. It's far easier to take my pc to his place.

The drums were programmed in Sonar 2.2 and then the whole track was mixed in Cool Edit Pro 2.1

Guys,

Thanks for the constructive feedback as usual.

PJH

I have a Delta 44 too, so you made me wanna listen to this. I like your guitar tone, nice and fat. Are the drums tracked? They sound great for 4 mics. Good work.

Well this rocks

Vocals are little covered up and dry. The lead guitar is lacking some width, it needs to be spaced a bit in the mix. other than that, very nice.

Decent song, though maybe a little weak lyrically. The singer has a good strong voice. Well played guitars. Well recorded guitars too. I wouldn't mind recording details if you have them. I liked that keyboard in the middle break - good playing too.

Some harmonies at certain spots would work well I think. Ok, I guess there were some "ohs" in spots. Some more verb on them I think would work well.

I'm listening on small headphones, so this might not be true... But it seems like there is a little lack of low end. Maybe push that bass up a bit. Maybe the kick drum too.

Small vocal stumble at :53.

Good job.

nice guitar sound! what did you use? good vocals.. actually this is a good tune and a good recording.. I don't really have any suggestions.. maybe the vocals could cut through a little more, but I'm looking hard for stuff.. love the break @3ish!! nice guitar stuff.. cool organ solo too.. what are you using?

good song and recording! this tune didn't feel as long as it was..

Thanks for listening Sloop, FattMusiek, TripleM and BSabbath.

FattMusiek, the drums were programmed in Sonar 2.2, converted to waves and then loaded into Cool Edit 2.1.

Sloop, I did widen the guitar solo slightly and it definitely fits better in the mix, thanks.

TripleM, I agree about the lyrics. The song was written back in 1978 (which is why it has a very 70's sound to it) and I didn't feel like attempting new lyrics.

BSabbath, it's good to hear from you again. Thanks for your input. The guitars were recorded using a 10 watt solid state amp into a 25 watt Celestion speaker. I used a Marshall Drivemaster pedal for the distortion. The guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

If you want to see the guitar setup, I uploaded a pic under the "Biography" section at nowhereradio.

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to listen and provide input. I think that the new mix has improved things considerably.

Cheers,

PJH.

Back