Please don't flog me (PC DAW combinations...)

Flo' Dolo

Folks,
before I make my plea, I gotta say that I have been reading quite a bit about PC DAWs, this forum included, for a month or so. I've finally decided to build a windows-based daw vs. a standalone box for my "B" room. Although I've read a lot, I still don't feel too comfortable on the PC side of things. I currently own a DP3 system, so I'm mac only.

< i know this is all over the forum, but I'm asking again>
I was hoping a few of you could post what systems & software you are using. The only requirements I can think of is that I'd like to be able to mix with a control surface or external mixer, and I'd like at least the option of installing additional cards for multiple ins & outs (advantages to t/dif?!?).

I'm trying to get some real world (last minute) feedback. Cool to know what software(s) you're running. Nuendo is looking pretty interesting, but my PC world experience is only with Cubase (starting with my old atari 1040st). I'm not opposed to learning any new software. Most of my stuff is midi-based, so the sequencing/midi capabilities are pretty important. I'm still digging through the software cesspool. I can buy any software from Cool Edit Pro to whatever. I'm not biased, and like I said, I'm still digging.

Again, I'm not just shooting in the dark, I'm ready to make a decision & have a few options in mind, just doing some last minute checking.

To those with enough patience to reply to a post like this - 'preciate it.

diendolo

I was hoping a few of you could post what systems & software you are using

My home system is P!!! 866, 512MB RAM, Double 20Gig HD, CD-R & CD-WR, SB Live! & Delta 66. WinXP Home. SONAR 2XL, CoolEdit Pro 2, several plugins from Waves, TC & Timeworks... Works great on most of my home project. I also work engineering on studio which has P4 2.4, 1 GBRAM beside ADAT's.

Most of my stuff is midi-based, so the sequencing/midi capabilities are pretty important

SONAR !!!
CEP worth for audio editing, but doesn't do MIDI that much. SONAR does.

;)
James

...all based on true story

Thanks man. I'm placing an order for some goodies tomorrow. Just wanted to see/hear some stuff.

diendolo

ASUS P4PE/SATA/L Mobo...I recommend an ASUS Highly
Intel Northwood P4 2.4gig CPU
512mb 2700 DDR Crucial Ram
2 80gig WD HD's with 8mb buffer and cooling fans on bottoms
Yamaha CDRW
52x CD Player
2 Case Fans
Round shielded IDE Cables
Audiophile 24/96 PCI card
Logic Audio 5.5
Sound Forge 6.0
Cool Edit 2.0
Izotope Ozone

Logic has extensive midi functions
The Audiophile is audio & midi combined, but only 2 analog ins & outs.

I just built this system for a friend:

Mobo Asus A7V333 $87
CPU AMD XP 2100+ $92
RAM Crucial 512MB DDR $99
Case Enermax black and silver $49
Hard drive WD 100gig $90
CDRW Lite-On 48x24x48 $58
Video Card ATI 9000 128MB DDR $133

Total $608

Plus audio card, which he is still debating over (Probably an Echo Gina).

Back