Please critique this guitar rock opus (?)

zim

Hi all,

I've just finished the first song in over a year. I've been working on "the mix", and I hope I've improved at least a bit.

Here is the link; any comments are needed. What can I do to make the "mix" better? Any suggestions are humbly taken.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/zim_music.htm

Thanks in advance, I'll be replying to any comments if wanted.

Whoah!!! That's pretty heavy, man. awesome orchestration. The only thing I'd say is maybe bring the drums down a little bit (and I'm a drummer)...The levels are fine besides that. How many guitar tracks are there??? This is excellent shit, man!

thanx for the comments, bro.

i thought maybe the drums were a little loud myself, but i've tended to drown them out a bit in the past...

as far as how many guitar tracks--4. the bass rythm (actually guitar, but w/efx & delay), 2 separate leads, and a touch added in the middle of the song.

i'm glad you like the orchestration--it's what's kept me working on the song for the last week!

thanks again...

Man, change your signature...you've written a better than decent tune. Love the guitars. Everything seems to flow together nicely. Way cool. I like it. Nuff said...
Ed

thx dogman... i appreciate the compliment.

my sig is a line off a tune i did a long time ago; called "decent song". it's up on soundclick, too... 2 versions, actually.

thanks again.... you guys make all the time down in the basement worthwhile.

zim said:
Hi all,

I've just finished the first song in over a year. I've been working on "the mix", and I hope I've improved at least a bit.

Here is the link; any comments are needed. What can I do to make the "mix" better? Any suggestions are humbly taken.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/zim_music.htm

Thanks in advance, I'll be replying to any comments if wanted.

Very listenable...maybe drags a little bit at times but certainly flows most of the way through...has a bit of an 80's feel...but hell, I didn't even retire from the 80's until about 1996 :) I could see the light show as it was playing- worth a follow up to say the least

thanks, rock doc. i'm curious to hear where you think it drags a bit... it's true that it's the same pretty much through, so i threw in the overdubs. and my stuff has been called '80's before, so no offense taken...

thanks for the comments.

Really cool song and nice playing.
I just don't like the guitar tone, it's pretty harsh and super saturated. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd like to hear this tune with a nice fat tone rather than the very digital sound that this one has.
But again, great song! Don't listen to too much that I say otherwise ;)

Song isn't bad, could pass for an old NES tune (not a bad thing in my book). Seriously sounds like something off an old Metroid game.
The guitar tone is really bad, way too direct sounding and way too much gain.

Some decent playing, things change around enough to keep it interesting, I like the little bit just after two minutes.

I wasn't a big fan of the guitar tone, but that is likely a lot more of a preferance thing then it being an actual bad tone or anything.

metalhead28 said:
Really cool song and nice playing.
I just don't like the guitar tone, it's pretty harsh and super saturated. Different strokes for different folks, but I'd like to hear this tune with a nice fat tone rather than the very digital sound that this one has.
But again, great song! Don't listen to too much that I say otherwise ;)

I'm with metal head on this one ...i really liked the tune ...but thought that a different meatier guitar tone would sound better...

thanks for all the input, you guys...

yeah, i've heard many time that my guitar tone & sound is shit; and i hope it's just because of my (shitty) zoom efx. perhaps i will just mic my marshall with some dist... ?

i'm glad to hear that everyone agrees that the song is ok, though.

again, thanks so much for all the input.

I used to use my Boss GT-6 FX Pedal ....but ever since i started to mic my marshall amp i have been getting much better results ...all the best Zim

keep Rockin!!! :D

Back