Please Critique This Dylan Cover (Sara)

Morningloryseed

and here is the old one if anyone wants to hear it

This is a cover of the Dylan song "Sara." I think it sounds pretty darn good, but I would love a second opinion. Anything that you think should be done to improve the sonic integrity of this song? I was specifically going for that "70's" sound.

For the record, I am aware of the tube distortion on the vocal. I had it a little too warm that day, but I have grown to love it.

Thanks in advance for listening to it. :)

MGS

http://mgs-productions.4mg.com

Dog Gone Catchy

Heck, i turned off the radio in the window and listened to this 3 times. Sounds like (new mix) it ought to be on the radio! I got chills. I can't quite understand what you are singing, but my ears are bout shot from working in a steam power plant.

Thank you. I was begining to lose faith in this forum, that no one had even bothered to leave a comment. I wish I had a high-speed connection. I'd listen to every song here and leave a comment.

I am not singing. I produced the session and play all the insturments.

Here are the lyrics.

http://bobdylan.com/songs/sara.html

Anyone else want to comment. Helpful criticism is welcome! :)

Last edited:
It's a good mix. I listened to a few on your site the other day. The guy singing does really well. The music is real well played. Like the keyboard on the left. 4 and a half minutes is a long time without some break in the instrumentation in my opinion. Maybe work some other creative stuff in at different times through the song?

Here's the other constructive critique. The acoustic guitar is played well, but it sounds like mine when I plug straight from the strap pickup plug into the recorder. I'm sure you miced it and processed and all..... but it doesn't really sound like it was miced to me. It does not sound like the acoustic guitar on Dylan's stuff, or much of the 70's acoustic sounds..... in my humble opinion. Of course... I think that about a lot of the acoustic guitars I hear on this site. They're just a little sharp and edgy to me.

But I like the song.... and it is very well done. And very well recorded.

Back