Please Critique - Powerpop Folk Tune

Overall I thought it was a real good sound. Good performances and a nice mix. Lot's of ear candy. I like that. Like the other song the only writing weakness is in the lyrics. Simplistic and lots of cliches.

I wasn't thrilled with the snare sound, but it's probably a personal taste thing.

Something strange on the word "through" at :08. Something strange on the word "funny" at 1:09. Something strange on the word "be" at 1:35. Bad punches? There were a couple of other examples.

But really, I enjoyed the listen.

I very like mix of this song. Especially guitar and piano on different channel. It sounds good. Vocals are very resilient, there is also very good for song's atmosphera
9/10

Very catchy song.

Given the general brightens of the track the 'OHH AHH' B Vox seem to have a bit of a dull EQ. Perhaps a bit of a wider pan.

Solid Ac guitar sound without being heavy. Drums pop up very well in mix.

Really like the middle 8/bridge but long for a bit of B Vox along with the organ.

Enjoyed it

Burt

Thanks for the comments! Very useful and thoughtful. Yeah, all the stuff I write is intentionally commercial-sounding. I'm hoping to pimp out a few songs in the near future to movies and TV. Did it in the past successfully, but now getting back into it.

For your target, it's pretty much ideal work, I think. And I think a 'country' treatment done by a female vocalist...lap-steels whining, etc, is a real good possibility. Might have huge value as a catalog selection for major artists! Can't think of a reason it couldn't be pitched successfully.

And it could be a really nice ballad, too.

Does it lack some low-mids? And yes, it's more of a question than a statement.

Yeah, it could use a bump there. A little more impact in the 'feel it zone'...get the cones moving. Tends to sound more two-dimentional than most...but still in the range of OK. I think an overall mastering bump would fix it. Not critical, I think.

DarkFriend: Had this tune in my head a long time after a once through. And I noticed that it reminded me of some of Elvis Costello's kind of writing...which got me thinking that a slam-bash version with that kind of nonchalant FTW smash treatment could put some edge on the tune for pop radio consumption, too.

It's a really well crafted progression, arrangement and lyric. So many possibilities. You're very good at what you do. Rep for you!

I hear a TV show theme song here - It's got all the elements of a "Friends", "Bosom Buddies" tune. I actually liked the lyrics a lot. There's something about having lyrics that leave the listener open for their own interpretation of the meaning - some call them cliches - maybe so, but I like 'em. Good work.
:)

Back