Please critique my two mixes

guitarguy101

The first one is basically dry, it has very little eq and compression done. The second one is a lot more "wet", it uses compression and eq a lot, lot more. Also, I fixed problems coming from poor double tracking that plagued the first one. Between the two, which do you think is better/more workable, and what can I do to make the better track even better?

Last edited:
That is pretty cool. The second link isn't working for me though which was kind of a bummer as the whole point seemed to be to A/B the two which I was looking forward to...

Anyway, the first one is pretty lo-fi sounding to me, but mostly in a good way. I like the lyrcis. Some clever phrases in there. The vocal doubling was distracting at times though as the levels of each vocal take varied enough that to me it sounded clumsy at times.

The spacey part right after the slowdown was cool, but I thought you overdid that new sound level-wise. Maybe drop it back some and make it more subtle? It's a fun tune. Thanks.

cool song, i like it a lot. i like the drum sound, but i think the guitars and bass should come up in the mix. it has a ton of potential.

agreed that the spacey part is a little to out there. i'd back off the effect and make the volume match the rest of the song better.

and, the second link isn't working.

I liked the song a lot. The only critiques I have are:
1. You need some bottom end.
2. The drums are too loud in the mix.

If the song is going to be mainly acoustic guitars with no (or low) bass, I think the drums should just be a simple brushed snare or sidestick.

But the song itself is very good...catchy tune!

And, the 2nd link didn't work for me either.

-Mike

Back