please critique my mix

thecugga

Hi everyone,

I am back looking for some helpful advice. This is only the third song ive ever put together, and the first song ive done with guitars and bass. The first two I thought were great and I posted them on here and they were ripped apart. This one ive spent weeks playing with it and im finally happy with it, and i think its better than anything ive done before. Its a cover of an old Thrice song, T & C.
There are a couple rough spots on the lead vocals that would need retracking but i only put this song together to get some practice.
I hope to record a demo in a few weeks and I just wanna know if im on the right track, and if there are things you guys can hear that I cant that i should do differently next time.

If You gyus could give me some help that would be great

Thanks

oh ya ... the link is purevolume.com/mlviiwheredreamscometodie
the song is T and C (Thrice cover)
you can stream it at a pretty brutal quality or download the mp3 ... thanks again

The bass drum and snare need to come waaaay more forward in the mix...actually the drums as a whole except the overheads. The snare needs more snap/crack to it (it sounds boingy in some parts, that is mostly tuning). The guitars need a little EQ...in some parts they can get a little muddy when everything is going and a little thin everywhere else. I'd bring the vocals up a bit more and and add a little delay to fatten them up.

What all did you use to record this?

Overall, pretty good showing.

My two cents.

thanks for the replies. yeah i noticed that ring in the snare after the drums were recorded, i gotta try something different next time i record.

to record i used:
2 sp B1's as overheads, 1 on gtr cab and lead vox
609 on snare and gtr cab and bass cab
shure c606 on kick and screams
thru a mackie 1202 and an m-audio delta 44 interface

im seriously lacking a kick mic .. but she'll be comin soon...

what do you think is better on vox? a little delay or a little reverb or a little of both?
plus are there any tricks to fattening up your snare sound?

thanks again for the help

Back