Please critique my first mix!!!

the_philth

This is a rough-mix I performed last night of the Los Angeles-based band Echo Prism. This is my first "real" recording gig and I need major constructive critisism in order to make my final cut.

"Welcome Back"

ALL input would be absolutely welcome!!!

Thanks guys! Your ears are very important to me. Please, rip this fucker to shreds!!!

Last edited:
This is a cool song, I liked the Synth intro very retro feel.
I also think the sound is very fitting for this style.
The song itself is very cool, and Heavy :) , the vox are also pretty wild.

I think the balance was really good...

good skills was also shown by the preformers.

a Good job there :)

keep it up

Thanks Nakatira....
Thanks for the very kind words! (and your "skills" comment -we practice quite a lot)

So... no:
"the voice is too loud"
or "it's too bassy"
or "it's over-compressed"
or "the echo is annoying on the vocal tracks"
or "the snare sounds like you recorded it in an outhouse"
or "the bass drum sounds like my moms beat-to-shit Volkswagon beetle"
or "if Yanni and *The Blonde Frankenstein* had a baby and he played in an 80s hair-metal band- this is what it'd sound like"
or "enough of that annoying Poltergeist reverse reverb effect on the vocals"
or "the guitar sound is awesome Phil, what kind of guitar are you using and which amp? :D "

Throw some constructive rocks people! This is my first real demo and I don't wanna put out crap! I really, really need some help here and the advice I've been viewing for the past few weeks or so in here is phenomenal!

You guys rock!

Cheers guys!

Cool song. I'll try and pick at it, so remember, I like the tune, but you seem to be asking for unrelenting criticism. Well, I can make out single imnstruments very well. I do really like the bass. It feeds the song well. Vocals seem to sit well in the mix. Nice and clear. Overall mix seems to be quiet, but that is easily fixed. I have my sound turned up pretty loud, and this was quiet, but still sounds very good at low volume. I stuck it in Adobe, and raised the overall volume 4 db, and am now listening. It's very bass heavy, but on a personal level, I really like that. Gives the song a great feel. The keys seem to take some of the vocal space at a higher volume. Vocals sit well most of the time, but when the keys are louder, they seem to fight with the vocals. That's the only issue I really make out, and it's minor. Great tune. I really like it.
Ed

I concur with Ed. Very good song, but quiet. I can't say there is a reason to do anything to this other than maybe even the volumes up a little, and make it louder. I really like the vocal sounds. Very nice voice, and seems to be spot on.
Robert

At the very end of the song, I can hear some low frequency drum ring over - possibly the floor tom, judging by its region. The mix itself doesn't seem to be affected by this though, probably because the floor tom isn't played that much, or it's just not enough to be worrying about. If it's another tom, however, it may be more of an issue, i.e., if it's being hit more often throughout the song. Nothing a bit of low roll off and/or a gate couldn't sort out probably. Sounds like a very decent mix to my ears, regardless of the above.

Thanks guys for the helpful opinions!

Greg (keys for band) and I went back and gave the track another *thorough* and the only thing we concluded (obviously) was that the level itself was low. For some stinking reason we haven’t figured out why this is (?); so time for us to ram our noses in those damn Encyclopedia-thick manuals to figure out the reason and fix it.

Our next track was a mother effer to mix! They’re very tom intense and the cleanup between sections was pretty tricky for us considering all the tom overtones. Nonetheless I think we nailed the drum tracks pretty well. Tonight we’re mixing the vocals and man... Tamber laid down a bunch of vocL unisons, harmonies and assorted noises which should be like piecing together a frikkin one-thousand piece mosaic puzzle! This is gonna be fun! Damn that girl's got a loud voice!

I’ll need y’alls help with that one as well!

I really appreciate your assistance guys and I really respect the opinions strewn within these forum walls! You are all extremely helpful and I’m glad I wandered in to such a fine group of lads!

Thanks guys!

if Yanni and *The Blonde Frankenstein* had a baby and he played in an 80s hair-metal band- this is what it'd sound like & OKAY enough of that annoying Poltergeist reverse reverb effect on the vocals

Just kidding.

Hey this is really cool. It's creepy. Man, I dig all the weird keyboard parts gong on in there too, adds to the creepyness. I don't hear anything wrong mixwise on my system, sounds very good. Good vocal performance too.

Alright here's a Snake tip if you want to try it and see if you like it: download Goldwave (free at www.goldwave.com) & open your mp3 & you'll see it's at less than half the volume it could be. Go to the effects menu --> volume --> maximize. From there you can mess with the slider & more than double the volume without clipping and hopefully doesn't mess it up any. I don't know, you be the judge, or if you want to try that & I just made NO sense, let me know ;)

I`m listening to this track agian and I love it.

Some critics right off my hand must be, in the beggining the vox could need some verb in addition to the delay, just a tad though.

I love the instrumentation on this track, very powerfull arrangment.

I think the level on your mix proves that You are with out a doubt skilled.

I normally dont like female vox, but this girl does a good job.

Impressive stuff man :)

Back