Please Critique Acoustic Rock-ish group I recorded

agentpenguin185

Hey guys. Will you please check my recording? It's of an acoustic-y rock type group that a friend and myself are recording. It would mean a lot if you would take the time to critique this and give me some criticism. Thanks a lot.

The song is "Just Lay Off". It'll be in the Singles section under Discography, as that's the only section I have. Ha.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/agentpenguin185

hi agent, man i realy like this style it grooves, the harmonica opening is cool. very active bass line in here loving it. im listening as im typing it.the vox sound nice and the drums sound great also im taking it that these are real drums from what i can hear. im lo-fing it. this is realy good stuff, im sure you will get plenty of comments on the mix from those who know what there talking about. ill post the direct link to the song to help you out. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2730&alid=-1 nice acoustic lead i realy like this alot, ill downlaod this and give it another listen a little later. thanks for sharing god bless tim pate

Hey thanks man. Yeah they are real drums. The drummer is actually me. The bass player and I are the ones recording/producing. This band is actually usually just two acoustic guitar players (they both sing). However, they wanted a full band to record with, and to play soem shows live, and they also got two recording enthusiasts. Thanks for the kind words.

Nice recipe these boys have for their tune. I`ll go a head and lean out here a little for now, and maybe the big guns will come a long in a bit and tell you the real deal on this. From what I`m hearing, you captured all of the harmonica voice really well. The guitar is in there pretty good too but not as clear as Id like. The drums and the organ sound a little like they were mic'd but the room is gettin in them and some crispness is lost. The full spectrum of tones seem to get a lot room sound on them and the clarity is just a tad muddy. However you did get a decent mix on them. The vocals could be a little louder and crisper with not quite so much low end. that might bring that bass out a little and let the bass drum through some more. Im a big snare and kick lover. I think you did a pretty good job overall in this.

Thanks for the advice Toki. As of yet, no EQ has been done on this song. So...I will try to cut some certain freqencies to make space for the instruments, or try some panning. Thanks for your help.

Sounds pretty good, particularly for not being EQd. I'm sure you can separate the parts even better. I noticed the guitar and the harmonica were fighting it out just a little bit for example.

The vocals do sound a little muffled and lack a bit of clarity. The organ solo is a bit soft.

I didn't care for the harmonies. They sounded off in spots. I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted to do because they did them the same way each time. But there are some spots in there that sound bad to my ear. I'd re-work the parts.

Good performances on the instuments. Good feel to the song.

Thanks for your comments 3M. Yeah, this isn't really my band and when it comes to vocals especially I'm not going to tell them to change soemthign that's been working for them so far. So, the vocal harmonies are there to stay. Thanks for your advice.

vocal deliver, and clarity

Song is really good, some of the instruments are a little muddied in parts. I think the vocals need to be delivered with a tad mor conviction. The singer sounds bored. And they are too far back in the mix. My only real complaint is the vocals. The drumming by the way was great. Good tune, pretty good mix, just the vocals are not hitting me right.

the music frickin owns!! i dig it...

however, the vocals could use a load of work i think. I think - less lows, more highs in both vox...maybe a little less of that panning, dont get me wrong - a little panning is good, but the voices are so different i dontt hink it works so great.

seems like something needs to be centered more constantly, more up front too maybe.

i dont know, vox just make it all sound less "hi fi" - and the rest of the stuff sounds great i tihnk - either way the song rocks though. ha.

peace
scott

Hey guys,

Analytical,
Thanks for the comments on the drumming. I will try to work on the muddiness of the mix as well.

Shack,

Thanks for the comments, I'll mess with the vocals.

Back