PLEASE check out my MP3!!

Salabim

Ok,
We recorded this a while back (about 6 months or so) in my basement, using my PC...

www.bens_own.live.com.au
(goto 'stuff' and then download 'nikki')

I was wondering what all the folk at hemerec think??? We are all only 16, and its the first time we have ever recoreded anything...I'm really desperate for a bitta feedback....

Please check it out,
Cheers
Tim

Very Good

Hey great stuff,

I'm 14 and I'm in a band with my brother and two other brothers. I'm from Brisbane, Australia. We too record using the PC in our garage. I use cool edit pro for recording. What do you use?
Anyway very good stuff, keep it up.

If you have any questions my e-mail is mixerman@optushome.com.au

Tukkis

I mistakenly listened to fly away first. It sounded closed in but the vocal was nice. THe vocal sounded midrangey. Was it a c3000 that was used?

Nikki was much better. Very open, better use of stereo,etc . I liked it.
Good mix.

Peace

Down Under

Greetings,

Not bad boys.

The first that hit me, and this is not a bad thing as much of just an first impression, is that this is a better "bar song" then a "Cd song".

Seems like it would go over well in a live situation better then prerecorded. I just see people dancing, the guys on stage having fun, i think it would be a good energy groove thing going on.

SirRiff

Sounds like The Lemonheads with Juliana Hatfield on vocals! ;)

Very good song, Salabim... I liked it alot.
(....yes, I'm a Lemonheads fan)

I couldn't listen to it very loud because my baby-boy is asleep, so it's hard to give an accurate assessment of the mix.
The one thing that seemed obvious though, was that the vocal could have been a little more warm and crisp.

Really good tune, man... nice job. :)

Buck

Thanks for thge feedback guys...much apreciated...

Tukkis - we're using N-track to record, running a line out from my brothers 12 channel desk into the line in, and then touching the tracks up using Wavlab.

Buck62 - big Lemonheads fan myself, thanks for the comparason...:)

SirRiff - We do seem to get a good reaction live when we play it (its not a bad closing song to finish off the set...)

cheers
Tim

Good Stuff

Yeh I too come out of my 12 track behringer mixer and in to my ISIS Maxi Studio breakout box. I do this because the box has 8ins and 4outs, which means I can record each instrument on it's own track at once.

Keep up the good work
Tukkis

P.S.- We should share some of each others recorded songs.

Tukkis,

yeah, we record one track at a time. Its a bitch, but we have screw all in the way of cash, we're trying to get some $$ together to get a new amps and stuff (we want to get into a studio some time soon to get a demo done)...

You got any Mp3s of ur stuff??? I'd love to hear it! what kinda stuff are you playing?!

cheers

Tim

Songs To Share

Hey Tim

Yeh we play a variety of songs. Green Day, Blink 182, The Living End, Cake, Grinspoon, Pennywise, a few oldies and heaps more.

Some we've recorded are: Just Ace, I Will Survive, All Torn Down, Warning

What's your e-mail so i can send you them.

Cheers
Tukkis

You guys sound really good to be your first recording!

2 observations:

The timing is off a few times. I note that you are recording each track seperately. Are you using a metronome click?

The lead vocalist has a really nice sound. She should be more up-front and intelligible. What kind of mic are you using?

Overall a fine first effort.

Keep it up!!

-Rob
www.mp3.com/robsmusic

Last edited:
Yeh...

For the vocals we used a SM58. I have no idea how to use the rackmount compressor that we had (too many bloody knobs) so i just used VST plug-in which seemed to do a half decent job. The vocals still clip in a few spots, but we recored the vocals in 2 takes, so i guess expected.

We layed the tracks over the top of a scratch track which was only bass and guitar, so its no wonder we got out of time in a few spots, and i guess there is only me to blame for that one (im the drummer)

As for the mix, i have had no experience in mixing recordings, this was my first shot, and i was listening through my PC speakers, which is probably not a particualrly good idea...

anywho...

Tim

To Salabim:

Your group is really doing a good job.
I have a couple of suggestions that if properly implemented, will have a positive impact on all of your future musical endeavors.

1) Your band must develop the abilty to play to a click track. I do not use n-tracks, but I'm sure that there must be some way to set up a metronome click while you are recording.

If you track the guitar and bass first, they must play while listening to the click as a timing reference. If you do not yet have one, set up some type of monitoring system so that while they are playing their instruments, they can listen to the click through headphones.

After the bass and guitar are tracked, you (the drummer)will then listen to the click and the other players' previously recorded tracks. You must use headphones so that you can hear the playback at a suitable volume without the sound being picked up by the drum mics.

If you have a drum machine, you can set up a basic beat to play along with, instead of a click track.

2)The Vocals!

Your singer has a beautiful voice. We want to hear it. Consider mixing the lead vocal a little louder and maybe treating it with some EQ and compression. During the mixdown, use good monitor speakers (not headphones), adn try to keep the lead vocal front and center.

Above all, keep practising!

Happy Trackin'

-Rob

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God...... Leo Bascaglica

the feedback is much apriciated...

when we next record (if ever) ill put some more work into getting the tracks in order...
we recorded it fairly nastily as something to do, but yeah, that click track sounds like a plan (i know there is a click option in N-track - but i wouldnt have a clue how to set it up! lol)

Cheers
Tim

Salabim,

Lookatme... I'm dancin'. I dig this.

Had a somewhat "live" sound to it.

I use an SM-57 for vox... Two of them came free with my old analog 8-track I bought about 10 years ago...

Anyway, I agree with Rob... I want to hear the vocals more up front in the mix. I'm serious.... Let me know if you remix this with the vox more up front... I'm really interested to hear it if you do.

Timing issues, yeah... but it really had a "live" sound to it... so I'm not really complaining about that....... although, it does kind of jolt me when the drummer misses.

Really good first effort... You're young... you're learning... hang around this BB and keep asking questions... I learned soooo freakin' much from the folks around here... You'll see... it's amazing the advice you get and how it will help you during the learning process... (I'm still learning of course... never ends dangit).

Lemme know when you remix this tune...

Teddie
http://mp3.com/smartapple

I'm impressed!

Sounds excellent. You play well. The recording is good aswell especially considering the equipment.

I only managed to get 1:26 of it before my connection cut and I could resume.

To me what contributes to the 'live' sound is the not quite closed hihat (or that a ride! forgive me if i am wrong) in the sections where the hihat is tight to my ears it sounds better.

Keep it up

Nick

Back