Please Bash! Need C&C :)

intenseza

Hey all!

It has been awhile since I last posted a song for bashing and this time I think I've returned with bigger guns and more ammo :D (At least I hope!)

So if you have a few minutes to spare please won't you listen to my track and let me know what you think.

All C&C Appreciated!

Thanks
- Mike

Attachments

• Reminisce - Untitled.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Typing as I listen

At first it sounds like an 80's pop hit. Cool drum sound, however it sounds overly compressed. It's pumping. Take some of that off. It's to the point where the cymbals are getting pushed out of the way. I don't hear too much bass guitar in this. Bring some of that up.

Update

Here is an update. I agree with the 80's sound...lol so I changed that.

Oh yes, I haven't added the bass guitar yet.

Attachments

• Reminisce - Untitled.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Cool track, but the mix is very unbalanced. It sounds like the drums are fighting with the synth. They're both kind of just eating each other up in various passages. Definitely control those synth swells, cause they seem to take over in a few spots. And I know drums in a mix are subjective, but to me, for this style, the drums need to sit back a little into the mix rather than being so up front and in your face.

Just my 2 cents ; )

Cool Sounds!!

This tune has some very cool sounds/tones in it. But like others say, it seems to be over compressed at times. It seems to have a Kings of Leon meets The Killers vibe to it, which is very cool!! I would just start from scratch with a mix, hopefully your tracks weren't recorded with too much compression. I make the mistake sometimes, trying to get a hot level at the final mix. I compress/limit the crap out of it to get a good loudness level. It's a hard habit to break, but in the end, the dynamics of the song won't suffer. Here's a track I just remixed that may be smashed a bit too hard.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9123052

Mix

Ye I agree with you guys actually. I'm having trouble balancing the mix... so what I can deduce from this exercise is that I need to fix the synth.

As for the compression/limiting, I actually recorded the guitars through my line 6 ux2 and I haven't put too much compression on them, if much at all.

So starting the mix again wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I'm slightly in the dark when it comes to the clearing up of the entire mix...

From what I'm hearing, start with taking the threshold down on the drums. They are really squashed. Sometimes doing that to the drums alone can reduce the compressed sound.

Back