Pleaase explain convertors...please

aberyClark

i know what convertors do. Let's say I get a Rosetta 2 ch convertor. How do I hook up preamps to record. Can I only record 2 channels at a time? Please give a general explanation. I know I have some kind of convertors in my Firebox....just I need to know how the hookup goes for concertors like Rosetta..etc

If you got a Rosetta, you wouldn't use the firebox at all.
You would hook your preamp to the analog input of the rosetta, you would come out of the digital out of the rosetta, into a digital input on your computer. (you would have to buy a card with a digital input.

Only 2 channels available on a 2 ch convertor? If I had a 2 channel convertor and The 8 channel pre amp had adat outputs....could I records 8 seperate channels?

aberyClark said:
Only 2 channels available on a 2 ch convertor? If I had a 2 channel convertor and The 8 channel pre amp had adat outputs....could I records 8 seperate channels?

If the 8 channel preamp had an adat out, that would mean the preamp had on board converters (8 of them) so you would need an adat compatable card on your computer to input 8 channels at a time.

Tom

aberyClark said:
Only 2 channels available on a 2 ch convertor?
Yes, hence the name '2 channel converter'. The Rosetta 800 has 8 channels.

aberyClark said:
If I had a 2 channel convertor and The 8 channel pre amp had adat outputs....could I records 8 seperate channels?
Like tmix said.

For about 50% more investment, you can get a Rosetta 800 instead of the 200, that 6 more channels for less than the price of the first 2. The Rosetta is a fine piece of gear for the serious recordist!!

Back