PLaying through headphones whats being recorded?

Creep

Milk It
Hi,

Like most of my questions, figured that this one would go int this section.

Was wondering it's possible to have sound that's being recorded into the computer be played through the headphones at the same time? Here's a hopefully better explanation:

Drummer is playing an electric drum kit, and he can hear what he's playing through the headpones plugged into the kit. Also lead coming from the line-out in the PC, is there a way to have this also coming out of headphones connected to the PC?

It's not overly important but wanted to see if it's possible.

Thanks!

-Creep

Just connect a headphone amp to a line out, and make sure your DAW's preferences have it selected as your output.

I know of two ways to do this. Most recording programs have a function named "Input Echo" on "Monitor", or "Input Monitor". Basically the sound goes into the interface, goes into the computer, goes into the software, then comes back out all of that to the headphones. It works, but it does take the sound some time to go through all of this. There is often a delay between when the sound is started by the instrument, and when the sound is heard through the headphones. This delay is often called "latency". If there is a lot of latency, the process becomes difficult.

Another way.. a better way, I think, is to have an interface with an internal mixer. Sometimes called a no-latency circuit. The sound goes into the interface and gets split. One part of the split signal goes into the computer, and into the software. The other part of the signal goes straight to the headphones, without going through the computer. You hear what is going into the computer, as it is going in. Most of the interfaces that have this function can mix the sounds from several inputs and send that mix to the headphones. Meanwhile all the individual signals from the inputs also go on to the computer, individually. Not mixed. Works good.

Back