Playing by ear

Aaa-woooo !!

However, my music and playing is incredible.
That is a good description. Thank you for using the word incredible.
The word incredible was used because you used it of your music and playing. Chuckduffy simply repeated what you said.
What's incredible is that this music and the playing of it is so incredible that you can't get it down or play it even though you've already done it ! :D
There's something about this thread that has me thinking of full moons and howling werewolves......

Play it into song smith.

I know this is hard to understand - but he can't play it into songsmith because he can not play by ear, he needs sheet music for his own composition that he recorded some time ago, but no longer knows how to play. He needs someone who can listen to the song and transcribe it into sheet music so that he can record another version with higher sound quality. His incentive to do this is that the song is incredible. The other parties incentive is to transcribe the song is some kind of monetary payment.

Chuckduffy,
I understand your sarcasm & impatience given the OP's blather BUT I also understand what is wanted and have an available option for him/her to achieve it. Your growing antipathy towards the silly person has clouded your reasoning/comprehension of what I suggested. Hey, I can understand why BUT...

This isn't hard to understand: he can play the recording he has into Songsmith & it will, depending on what is foremost in the recorded arrangement, work out a chord progression of what was played in.

Here is an example:
A friend of mine sent me a recording of singing a lyric accapella. he wanted some chords (in his instance piano & with a view to working out a flute arrangement to go with it). The melody meandered a bit & the structure was elastic so it was a very difficult song to work out chords for. I downloaded s/mith, I played the recording into a computer microphone and the program worked out chords to go with it then allowed me to build a rudimentary arrangement based on the programs parameters. I was able to send a recording of that arrangement with the singing and a chart of chords back to my friend.
In other words the program, within certain constraints, transcribed what the fellow had.

Oh, and to be quite honest. I've found old recordings songs I've written that I could no longer remember the chords for and had to spend months, on & off, to pick them out. If I'd had S/smith or something similar I'd have save myself & my poor ear much angst & time.

Chuckduffy,
I understand your sarcasm & impatience given the OP's blather BUT I also understand what is wanted and have an available option for him/her to achieve it. Your growing antipathy towards the silly person has clouded your reasoning/comprehension of what I suggested. Hey, I can understand why BUT...

I have no antipathy whatsoever towards the poster. I tried to interpret what he meant and asked if I was right. He agreed with my wording. Yes, I poked a little fun by using the word incredible one too many times. I replied to what you posted because I didn't know if you understood the back story. Not knowing my own songs is not new or strange to me. In 2007 I met up with some former bandmates and we spent an evening playing songs from our old sets. The only way I could hang was to carefully watch the other guitarists hands for the chords. My primary reason for stopping by here is not to make fun of people, frustrate or annoy them. I have some free time while waiting for builds. Yes I do engage in some tom-foolery, but it seemed like that was par for the course here.

CD,
The OP is OTT, OK?
I did read the back story which is why I offered SSmith.
Poking fun is fine with me.
Re sarcasm I was responding to your 1st line in the response to me: "...I know this is hard to understand - ". This, to me demonstrated your patience reaching the liimits of it's elasticity & you managing that by moving into "safe mode" - ie: sacrasm before aggression.
Anything short of flaming is fine = particularly if there's some reall intent towrds humour.
Has Nick Lowe said & Elvis Costello reiterated: What's so funny about Peace, Love & Understanding?

The War to End All Wars/Christian Soldiers (marching as to war)/Peace Corps/Police Action/Pre-Emptive Strike/Escalation/Collateral Damage/WMD/Core Promise/Non-Core Promise et al.
We've come up with some amazing language to justify base behaviour haven't we.

The War to End All Wars/Christian Soldiers (marching as to war)/Peace Corps/Police Action/Pre-Emptive Strike/Escalation/Collateral Damage/WMD/Core Promise/Non-Core Promise et al.

Collateral Damage was just a metal band waiting to be born until the gov picked it up :-)

Yes, we have. And it would appear that no one group is immune. Even the "Christian soldiers marching as to war" which is obviously about fighting a spiritual battle was used by the self same group to justify some horrific antics performed on people down the centuries. The "police action" covered up a multitude of sins {to which I can personally attest} and the "collateral damage" is perhaps the one that in the future will truly come back to bite it's perpetrators because to many non Western peoples, it says rather starkly, "So some people got in the way and died - so what ?".

We could go on but it wouldn't help the OP !

How rare is the ability to play music by ear?
I don't know. Like many things it's determined by a combination of things, such as the instrument one plays {it's easier for me to play congas by ear within a song than it is the bass guitar} and practice. As a natural innate ability, I'd say it was rare.

We all play by ear it is just that some people can hear and pick out the notes with a very accurate analysis of what they have heard. The rest listen then try and find the starting point of the song or clip and figure it out from there.
However if you have just made these bits up have you taken theory into account. Some stuff just should not go together even in a snow storm.

I went to an auditon some time ago where the "Lead" guitarist was jusy making stuff up as he whent and expected me to be able to jam with him. If he was playing notes in scales or even related to the first note he played that would have been fine. Just because it sounded OK for him with the "Drummer" thrashing about, didn't give any real inidation this guy knew the difference between chocolate and clay if you get my drift??? He also claimed that he had all of these original riffs etc.

If you wrote these master pieces you really should be able to recreate them.
Just start at the beginning and put one foot in front of the other.

good luck
BronwynH

Hi, I don't know if you've got this sorted by now, as I see the last post is some time ago, but I'll throw in my thoughts.
It sounds like you want someone to listen to and absorb the recordings you have and show you them again. I would think a local teacher would be the ideal person to help, preferably of the instrument you play or the instrument for which the music is written, and ideally the style you write in - but not essential. As you say you don't have any way of remembering the music, presumably you don't read music therefore they couldn't just write it down for you, they'd have to show it to you again.
You've said you are prepared to pay for this service, and teachers are used to hiring out their time by the hour.... it could be quite time consuming depending on the length an complexity of the music.
In my experience, some teachers could do this, and some couldn't, you could phone and ask.
As grimtraveller says, you haven't said where you are, if you said so, you might get some offers.
Good luck.

How rare is the ability to play music by ear? I wan't to pay someone to help me learn how to play my own songs/compositions from a long time ago. (I can not play by ear, so I have no way to remember the music.) Is it difficult to find someone in this area?
If you don't remember how the tunes went, how do you expect someone else to be able to reproduce them? Can you sing the melody? Are there recordings of the material available?

Unless there is a copy of the sound available, your question has nothing to do with, "playing by ear". You need to hire someone that claims to be a psychic or a mind reader.

Unless there is a copy of the sound available, your question has nothing to do with, "playing by ear". You need to hire someone that claims to be a psychic or a mind reader.
And even that would do you no good because if you can't remember it, how could they read your mind to access what you can't remember ? ! :D

Hi Ray C

Play it into song smith.

Hi Ray

I just clicked on your link and found your Pygmy Beat blog page.
I Loved the sound and lyrics.
Good work sounds great.
May I just venture that you put a little more bass into your vocal tracks?
Not a critisism just a suggestion.

ciao

BronwynH:listeningmusic:

play by ear is a little confusing topic.. Some people say they are playing by ear but they are not.. they are play by things that they already know..

I bought this course and it has help me play the piano and make up my own progression. Can i play by ear? I would not yet, but gave a year and then i would say yes...

Back