playing again for the first time in a year

BigKahuna

I "switched" instruments about a year ago ... just getting back into playing guitar again...

arghhh..
no calluses!
hand cramps!
really sloppy crappy soloing!
:(

but does it get any better? :D
man I had no idea how much I missed it!
Maybe I needed the break because it seems like it's so much more fun to play now than it was before.

Hey Big K,

Reborn virgin guitar player, is a new age term.

To get them calluses back, just do what I once screemed at the Allman Brothers "play all night!"

I'm still trying to learn how to sing (getting calluses on my vocal chord?).

Drag about the cave eh?

Don't stop banging them drums, just switch back and forth. Best of both worlds!!

Midol for hand cramps, only works once a month.

GT

I hear ya

The worst part is when you're in a groove, all warmed up, articulation is perfect, right when your fingers start to blister after hours of playing...

Enjoy your rekindled relationship!

Me

Be carefull with the cramps... Slowly build it again. You will still have control, but your muscles aren't used to it anymore (altough you did play bass?)... Build up again. My wrist trouble began when I got back to playing piano after 7 years. I could still play, sloppy yes, but I could still play. So I did... Actually, I overdid it. There's more to my wrist probs, seems, but I still think that is one of the reasons. After all, that's when it started.

Breaks are good. You tend to forget your bad habbits easier than what you learned, so you can start over again by learning that the right way. And you discover the instrument again from a more knowledgeable point of view. Gives new insights.

I did a show a few weeks ago, after not playing for a month. After I got into it again (first 'songs' were easy, no improvisation), I was faster than before! Offcourse, after years... Anyway. Think about the bad things you did back then, and learn them the right way now.

thanks for the comments, guys!
I guess I have played bass a little in the last year, so I guess that kept my chops up ... if even just a little bit.
but it really has been a long time for me on six string ... having the most fun I can remember playing gtr, and actually sound the worst I ever have right now! :D
I actually have to get my tele set up again, it's completely unplayable!

GT... no way I'll give up on drums, they're just too much fun! ... but it's tough writing new music when all you do is play the skins
also, yeah ... big drag about the cave ... but IMHO, it's more embarrassing than upsetting. I can only imagine what new members and/or pros think when they see that garbage. :(

Yeah, I know the feeling. I had a few completely dry years. Feels good to be back, but whoa - that thing tires me out.

BigKahuna said:

also, yeah ... big drag about the cave ... but IMHO, it's more embarrassing than upsetting. I can only imagine what new members and/or pros think when they see that garbage. :(

Speaking as a newbie. I can tell you that it makes me wonder if this forum has always been this rowdy.

But, seeing messages like yours makes me believe that I just got lucky and joined up later than I wish I had.

I hope that whatever is going on gets sorted out. This looks like a good place to learn a thing or two, it would suck if I couldn't stand the heat and had to leave the kitchen. :(

Back