playing acoustic guitar with a thumb instead of a pick

Abrasive.. as in abrasive?
;)
There's that clicky stuff you get from light picks.
But then there's the not crisp let off of a pick not parallel with the string. It starts to release with a bit grind'
'Prolly gets worse as the pick gets worn.

Yeah I use medium strings too like .13 to .46 i think? And I use a medium to heavy pick, so I think it gets boomy on the low end and abrasive on the high end. My guitar is a junky old Yamaha, too, so that might be it. I need to play around with mic positions more. I think I should probably move the mic further away for this guitar and maybe not play the two highest strings (lol) because they sound clangy. I use phosphor bronze strings too maybe i need to experiment more with those and try 80/20? but I wondered how much of this was the pick 'cause I notice the guitar sounds a lot better when I play it using a thumb only. there's less attack and clarity but also it doesn't have the clangy/brittle attack of the pick. i record in my crappy bedroom so there are a lot of problems. i'm just trying to figure out the best compromise.

my favorite sounding acoustic guitar is like on the old blues recordings from the 1930s. i notice they lack low end. it's just a mild thumping with the thumb. and then the treble strings are a little clangy but not too bad. i like that sound when using my fingers. when strumming chords i like bob dylan's sound. i'm not really sure how to get either. :/ I know being Robert Johnson or Bob Dylan with real engineers helps, but if I could get close to those sounds I'd be happy

Last edited:
I need to play around with mic positions more.

My recommendation would be not to worry about mike positions.

I would concentrate on getting the guitar sounding the way you want it to sound.

So yes, try different strings, different picks, different playing techniques and so on. You may also need to check your guitar, for example, its intonation.

In the end, it may be that the guitar is just not right for the sound you want.

Go top a music store and check out other guitars and see which work for you and which don't.

But when you finally get your guitar sorted, then you can experiment with mike placement and different recording techniques.

I inherited a fairly small body inexpensive Yammi- don't use it yet but it does have the most 'small body 'mid range speak' (-what is the right term for it?) of all I own. Def not the bigger sort of opposite 'jumbo or standard Martin blue grass tones. Hard to say but you might not get there with just setup' and mic position'.
I will mention one thing that might help. I tried finding a spot that got closer to how I hear (and like) my Taki.
Up above- in and around the neck body joint, maybe a bit forward- obviously 'depending.
What it does is not be so 'face focused. Also, away from the face, less lows, less 'attack, = 'more wood'- which was a big part of it.
Did this position sit' / cut' as well in a mix', not so much but worth a try.
Now I think (don't know- haven't recorded them) but it seems actual small bodies I've played, would do that (and more) 'naturally, and from the front'.

I have noticed that Mark Knopfler plays with his thumb a lot. For me it depends on which guitar I am playing. On my electric and steal string acoustic I will sometimes play with a pick and sometimes with p m i a. On my classical I never use a pick. I do most of my playing on my classical. When I do use a pick, I use a medium. What it comes down to is use the technique that fits what the song needs. During one performance I used a nickle as a pick.

I don't see how anyone could play with only their thumb... however, pick or not just depends on the style of the song.

Thought this thread was interesting for some reason. I used to play with my thumb. Over time a little callous will form just to the left of the nail, kind of like a really dull pick :-)

I know I'm kicking this back up, but thought OP would be interested in hearing from someone who never really got the hang of a pick in fifty some years of playing lol. You can strum fine with thumb and fingers. You can upstroke with the thumb and down stroke with the back of the fingers. You can play both acoustic and electric. Yes, the sound is different. Essentially, it's the sound of the music you play which determines which you use. James Taylor uses thumb and fingernails. Running the guitar through an amp gives options in varying the sound. I don't like picks because I prefer feeling the strings, but I also generally play as an accompaniment to vocals, or a bass like riff beneath the vocals - not lead. I think using the fingers is a lot more versatile. Then again, I might think differently if I liked using a pick.

Back