Played an AxeFX II the other weekend

DrewPeterson7

Sage of the Order
Backstory - a couple friends of mine and I run Metalguitarist.org, and one of them just bought a place way up near the New Hampshire border. To break it in a bit after he got situated, he threw a "gear fest" sort of get together where a bunch of us more or less in driving distance all came up for a long day of drinking, jamming, and drooling over guitar gear. Chris owns an AxeFX or AxeFX Ultra (I forget which), and since Fractal is located just over the NH border he invited Cliff down to jam for a while. He showed up with an AxeFX II with the latest firmware, he'd just finished about ten minutes before he hopped in his car.

First, Cliff's a pretty cool guy who's actually a pretty damned good guitarist - something I wasn't really expecting, but probably should have (the guitarist part).

Second, a couple of us sat down with it and put it through their paces. Two pretty accomplished shred guys (Eric Clemenzi and Angel Vivaldi, if anyone else follows the scene) ripped through it for a while, but when Angel finished up I grabbed my Strat (for something completely different) and Cliff plugged me in.

I was running through I believe a solid state Carvin poweramp and my Recto 2x12 cab, and after a brief foray through a Mark-IV model (which was a bit hairier than I'd like, but I didn't get too far into dialing it in) Cliff pulled up some sort of a blackface model.

The thing OWNED. Had I been blindfolded, not only would I not have guessed a modeler, I'd have wanted to know what amp I was plugged into to maybe try to pick one up. I'm no fan of modeling, but this was hands down the best model of a Fender-y sort of amp dialed in for some SRV-ish grit I've ever heard. I hate to say it, but it was better than the "tweed" channel in my Roadster.

We eventually started jamming again, and I ended up playing through a few of the older Marshall models. What impressed me the most about them was not that they sounded great, but rather the way they sounded realistically bad. If you pushed the gain too high, the lower strings would just crap out on you ans turn to chainsaw-like flub, in an appealingly Jimi sort of way. It was actually a lot of fun.

I love my current rig (a Mesa Roadster head, into a 2x12 cab) and I wouldn't really have any interest in the range of tones a modeler would offer - I like my lead sound, I like my rhythm sound, and I like my clean sound, and I don't think I'd do much with the other models other than just screw around a bit. It makes no sense for me to sell the rig I own and love for an AxeFX rig. However, I also live in an apartment with pretty thick walls and pretty volume-friendly roommates. If I moved into somewhere where a 100-watt tube rig wasn't feasible, I'd be thinking long and hard about making the switch.

Modeling may not be quite there yet (the 5150 II model Angel was playing through sounded a little too unnaturally articulate, slightly more like a recording of a 5150 than an actual amp), but the AxeFX II is way closer than anything else I've ever played through.

I have an Ultra. The thing about these units that alot of guys forget is that the thing is really made to go FOH. yes it is fun to experiment and try all the different types of set ups. me Ive tried about 10 differnt combinations of amps and cabs, Full range speakers, active passive etc... They all sound good, they all sound real, and they all have their value. There are alot of settings that need to be tweaked for each set up to sound its best. Some amp sims sound better through a tube power amp, some sound better through a SS power amp. So it leaves alot of options for those that like that many options.

Your comment where you stated that it sounded like a recording of the amp than the actual amp is right on the money. With modeling pre-amps you want to get the tone to the FOH that sound best "in the mix". That is what they do best. They eliminate the need for a cab, mic set up.

I have not decided what to do for a live set up yet, the options are liimitless. I guess that is the fun. One night IM running a Deizl amp, the next night Im running a Modded JCM 800, Then a Mesa. or all them in one night. They do really sound real and have the same dynamics as a tube amp. They dont push massive low end chunk like other moddelers do unless you dial it in like that.

I am a bit of a tube amp snob too. I usually do not like anything digital, but this unit really does what it says it does. When you kick it into full stereo sound. OMG it sounds like heaven:)

Ive always been really intrigued by the axefx. I remember hearing about it through a billy howerdel interview. His tones are always amazing and the name sounding so intense made me hit the google. He too made a comment that it could f up and break up just like analog pedals and amps.

They do really sound real and have the same dynamics as a tube amp.

bridge-for-sale.png

Meh the only tones I have heard from an axe fx II that I cared for were clean tones. If I was going to buy one it would have to be the Ultra or Standard because I honestly liked the tones people got from them more.

But when it comes down to it, I would way rather have a Ubershall or Cobra or...

Well pretty much any other nice tube amp over the Axe for the stupid amount of money they want for them.

Has anyone ever opened one up? I wonder if they are full of PC boards and tubes that help with the emulation......

Back