Platinum Live/Audigy

No, they don't.
Why don't you ask the question you intended to ask, instead of some question that can be answered by any imbecile looking at the pictures on the box?
What you really want to know is how the SBLive5.1 compares to SB512, in terms of signal-to-noise ratio. Isn't that right?

And, you want to know how necessary the extra input on the SBLive is, since everything else about the two cards is virtually the same, according to the boxes.
But you failed to write anything down when you were at Circuit City, and now you can't remember, specifically, what those differences were. So you're hoping somebody at HRdotcom will bail your dumb, boney ass out, again! Like, we care!
Think, dummy!
It has something to do with CD Digital audio in, right? Come on! See the box. Be the box. Digital in/out. I mean, does it really matter? How am I, or any one of us, supposed to know what YOU need? Just grow up, will ya?! Fend for yourself.

Oh, yes. I have scoured Creative's website, but the kind of information I'm looking for (s/n ratio) isn’t there.
Creative's site is very marketing-oriented. The "specifications" page is just ad-copy. The "data" page has some specs, but nothing of any value to me.

For example: I recently read a review highly touting SBLive!, saying it's s/n ratio was significantly better than the PCI 64. I'd like to know how SB512's s/n ratio compares. The website doesn’t have that information.

Creative Support has not been very helpful to me in the past, and I really don't want to buy another Creative card. But what else is there?
I'm looking at Turtle Beach. And Hurricane. But you just can't find much reliable, objective information about the stuff. Creative seems to have cornered the market for amateur-pro cards.

Here are some other examples: I'd like to know something about the 10 drum kits that Live! and 512 offer? It sure sounds good. But where’s the beef? How does each of the ten differ? Or do they?
And I'd like to know whether I need the "Digital CD Audio In" and "Analog Digital Out (Analog Center and Subwoofer / 6-channel SPDIF Output" that the Live! and 512 offer, over the 16. Maybe that is obvious to most. But it’s not to me, and I don’t mind admitting it.
The Live! Platinum comes with the external "Drive" thingy. How useful is that thing? What are the specs on it?

Part of the frustration comes from having to spend hours trying to find out information that should take minutes to find out.
I’m at a point where I need to know whether I should get another soundcard that will service both my son’s games and my own audio editing, or get separate equipment aimed at each purpose.
Just because the difference in cost between two cards is only twenty bucks, that’s no reason to throw it away on something that will never be used.

I want to make intelligent buying decisions. That can’t be done, based on the information available on Creative’s website.

Speaking as an avid gamer and recorder you will not find one card perfectly suited for both. In my box I have a Delta RPC card to hook up to my Roland digital mixer and a SB Live for games and surround on my Klipsch 4.1 system.

If you have to get one card for everything the pro cards will work for games but will not do EAX (game oriented environmental effects) or surround. The game cards will not give you true 24bit quality but they will give you decent 16bit recording that is suitable for demos and messing around.

So either get a SB Live or audigy and sacrifice recording quality or get a delta Audiophile and lose surround and SoundFont support. Or get both and be happy with everything.

All I have is PA8, an SB PCI 64, an acoustic/electric quitar,and a low-impedence mic.
All the other instruments I use are written in notation and played by the computer.
My thing is making demos. My son is the gamer.
I need a solution that will enable him to play the latest games (DirectX 7- or 8-compatible), and enable me to get some decent drum sounds.
I am learning to mix, and need to facilitate that process. What equipment line-up do you suggest?

can't you run two sound cards? I have an SB Live! Platinum and audiophile 2496...I use the audiophile for gaming most of the time.

Milkman,
I don't know. But I'm sure I have read something in this forum stating that there are definite problems associated with running two cards. I'll have to try to find it again.

You can run two cards. Just not 2 SoundBlasters. Pro cards and SB's use different drivers. Many people, including myself, have SB's along side a delta card.

Just uninstall the SB, install the pro card and get it working. Then reinstall the SB and you should be ready to rock and game.

Back