Planning out building a DIY vocal both

pint07

Oh hello
Bad news: I have a very small budget. As in, as small as I can possibly get to get something decent.

Good news: My dad works for Owens Corning. Which means I have access to discount rates on OC 703 XD

Okay, so i've got a nice square box here. I've got a small waterbed with its side pushed against the window. Where the bed ends I want the vocal booth to begin. It'll be about 6x6ft. I'm thinking of creating a sort of "door frame" mechanism, but I'm not sure if it will work. Basically a row of 3 door frames or so, with no door, but instead foam insulation filling the doorframes, with a comforter or something on one end. My thought was to get OC 703 and fill up the door frames with it somehow, then attack foam to it, with a comforter on one side.

My questions...

1) Should it be rounded, until the walls where it goes to the corner of the room? Or just a triangle?

3) What should I do to the dry wall corner?

4) Which way should the singer face? Using a tube condensor or cardoid condensor?

5) What goes above the booth?

6) Will this work?

I am going to step out on a limb here and tell you that anything will work. Whether it works well or not is to be seen... with that said, I implemented a pvc pipe and moving blanket rig as a sort of portable recording booth until i can treat my booths. the results were good, and the entire project cost me less than $100. you can find the link here for a member who is promoting this thing:

http://www.palmcitystudios.com/timobrien/music/soundbooth/simplesoundbooth.html

Good Luck!

p.s.- i would only do this if you are looking for instant gratification.. i mean, you have to do the work cutting the pvc, but in an hour you will have a functional booth. i would leave the top open however.

Back