plain vanilla 24/96 AD/DA

Havoc

Does anybody know of a simple stereo 24/96 AD/DA convertor having spdif or aes outputs? Word clock input would be OK, but all the rest is just not wanted. So: no tubes, no opto-compressor, no usb, no input levels, no eq, no phase-linear wavelenght adjusted jitterproof midi connectio, no frills. It just needs analog line-level inputs and digital outputs and a switch to set the samplerate.

I looked at several things, but most are either horribly expensive, or they are more like a voice channel. I have a very basic fostex vc8, and this is like I would have the new one (but then stereo 24/96), plain simple and usable by a complete idiot. Probably there is some almost unknown company selling something like this, but I would like to know them.

Thanks

I think this is discontinued,but you may still be able to get one used. Art DI/O 2496,very inexpensive,has spdif outs,it does have a tube,but you can dial it out.I tried one out a while back and it sounded ok for what it was but I did end up returning it.I heard it got some real positive buzz a while back on some audiophile forums,I probably should have kept it since I think I only paid around $70 or $80 for it new from Mars.

Here is a link to the art unit I was talking aboutart di/o .Apparently Full Compass still stocks them.I am not familiar with the Fostex that you have or your budget for two channels of conversion,but that little Art is a lot of bang for da buck.I second C7's Lucid and Motu suggestions ,though the Apogee Rosetta w/96k is a great unit,I just never used one.Just found it at Musicians Friend too for $159,here is the link Art DI/O the description is a little more thorough then Full Compass.

Last edited:
Well, that art looks like it and the price is right, pity of the tube. As for the rest.....
Lucid, apogee are definitely out of range. I refuse to pay +1000 for a simple stereo convertor for what I do with it.
Motu is nice, but I don't need more than 2 channels so that is ruled out also.
Midiman audiophile, well I already have an RME hammerfall in the pc.

Only problem is finding them over here in europe.

For those who do not know tha vc8, it is a simple metal box with 8 analog inputs, 8 analog outputs, adait in and out and wordclock in. 2 (or3) led for power and lock and a samplerate and power switch. Thats it. 20 bit 44.1/48 and clean enough for my needs when it comes to multi-track. Oh, and by the way: cheap.

Havoc,I have a Fostex CX-8,which is basically the same as the 2nd generation Alesis Adats. Your Fostex must be hard disk based though in order to handle 96k.
Doesn't Musicians Friend have a German website for online orders?

Back