plain midi controller vs drum computer (and some other Qs)

ron82

hey i'm just getting into midi, because i want more realistic drums than i get when programming them (cant record real ones, anyway).

so there was finally a reason to get smart about midi, well here's where i got:

as far as i understood it i would only need a midi controller (say, a small master keyboard with a midi-out), hardware-wise, the sound modules could be vst plugins, and i'm set. true?

but then, i could as well get a drum computer instead of a keyboard - but playing punk rock, i dont want to program loops or anything, just record single drum tracks straight into my pc, so a drum computer wouldnt be any advantageous for me, would it? i dont know how good the sounds in such a drum computer r (speaking of a budget ala alesis sr-16).

as well i dont know if i would b able to transfer my own drum sounds to a drum computer, instead. if so, which format would be useable for this, wav :confused:

as u see there is some info i'm lacking, i'm grateful for any advice!

as for a midi controller, i have an eye on the oxygen 8 - havent found anything about it on this board, but heard only good about it.

either one would work for you but what you're really looking for is a sampler... somethign that you can trigger via midi which has space for you to load your own sounds onto... look into a used Kurzweil k2000.. it was the big sampler like 5 years ago and it's what NIN used on his downward sprial CD....

hope this helps

thanks! i didnt know a sampler can trigger midi. its pretty confusing cause something that was usually just a keyboard to me can be either a controller, sampler, workstation, actually just a keyboard, etc.. lol

Back