Pixies cover "Gigantic".

Sweet! That was me. My favorite Pixies song, probably.

I really dig it. The low end is a bit too beefy. Some of the bass notes are early as well in relation to the drums. The drums have a good feel, bass feels early/anxious/deliberate like it's feeling out the part. The bass sounds DI as well. Maybe put an amp sim on it to smooth it out? Another option is to turn down the bass a bit because it's highlighting the issues.

But, wait to see if others hear it that way. Everyone has different feel so maybe it's me.

Otherwise, I don't hear any problems at all. Great vocal.

Good job, Bubba. I dug that.

Cheers, Nola. The bass could do with a retrack. It was the first thing I recorded after the drums, in fact it was the first thing I'd recorded in four months, so it wasn't properly locked in. The bass does actually have an amp sim on it, but I've used quite a dull-sounding eq treatment on it.

Thanks for the comments. :) And for the challenge. :D

There's also a fault with the panning of the guitars. I just realised Joey's "meltdown" guitar and Frank's "chack chacka" are in the same speaker and interfering with each other at the moment. I'll fix that tomorrow. :)

...at my other forum also.

TRAITOR!!

thought this was really good. there's a considerable volume difference in the first section compared to the rest, when it all kicks in. but it's all pretty big and roomy, lots of space and dynamics. sounds like a real live band...hey, what a concept. :) nice work

TRAITOR!!

thought this was really good. there's a considerable volume difference in the first section compared to the rest, when it all kicks in. but it's all pretty big and roomy, lots of space and dynamics. sounds like a real live band...hey, what a concept. :) nice work

Thanks. I worked on the volume discrepancy. I think it's about right, now.

Great vocal performance. Drums sound really good as do the guitars. Didn't notice any timing issues. Solid performances on everything. As far as the mix goes...it has plenty of bottom and plenty of sizzle. I think the cymbals really sound great on this.
I don't hear any problems with this mix at all.
Good job on this one a Bubba Po.

Sounds good man. The guitar that kicks in 3/4s of the way in sounds really good - the guitar playing octaves over the main rhythm guitar riff.

The blend is nice. The overall balance of the mix is nice. I have no complaints there.

I always like the way you use reverbs. What are you using anyway, and how are you using it?

Last edited:
yeah, I think this sounds really good, I like the bass guitar tone, as well as the guitars, especially the sustaining note on verge of feedback before choruses,nice job, love The Pixies and you do them justice with this cover.

yeah, I think this sounds really good, I like the bass guitar tone, as well as the guitars, especially the sustaining note on verge of feedback before choruses,nice job, love The Pixies and you do them justice with this cover.

Thanks, Queepy. I hear you're friendly with Rayc. You might be getting a message from him shortly. :)

Im not a fan of covers but I dont think theres one youve done that I havent enjoyed. Mix all sounded good to me, dont really know the Pixies so this ones an OG to me :)

Just for the record, I don't care what anybody thinks.

lol - Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway...so there!

Don't know the tune, but I think it sounds great overall. Vocals are nice, as are the guitars. I really wasn't hearing any issues mix-wise, but then I'm pretty out of practice in terms of critical listening.

I guess maybe the bass tone seemed a bit sterile? Sorry, that's all I got...I wanted to hear from bite or grit to it or something. Plus the playing seemed a bit tentative, but perhaps only because I remember bass tracks standing out as strengths on other mixes of yours.

Always good to hear something from you.

lol - Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway...so there!

Don't know the tune, but I think it sounds great overall. Vocals are nice, as are the guitars. I really wasn't hearing any issues mix-wise, but then I'm pretty out of practice in terms of critical listening.

I guess maybe the bass tone seemed a bit sterile? Sorry, that's all I got...I wanted to hear from bite or grit to it or something. Plus the playing seemed a bit tentative, but perhaps only because I remember bass tracks standing out as strengths on other mixes of yours.

Always good to hear something from you.

Ha ha, thanks, heat. Yes, I went with a tone similar to the original on the bass. Kim Deal is noted very much for "playing it straight". She doesn't see herself as a "proper" bass player. But very effective for all that.

I do intend to get back to my own stuff again soon, but I've always liked doing covers.

You've got a fatter tone throughout than the original I think? On this song, and the album in general the Pixies went for a kind of thin wiry sound - I don't think you necessarily need to pitch for that on your cover, it's just slightly different.

Always catches me off guard how quiet that opening bass line is, particularly after the louder drum count. You turn the volume up and then nearly blow the speakers when the rest of the band comes in.

Sounds great though, you really nailed the guitar parts and Manda pulled off the vocals. I don't really have any crits.

I'm not familiar with the original beyond what was used in some commercial a few years back.

I like the guitars.

Kick is kind of big. It's a bit loud to me and a bit heavy in the low end. It's overpowering the bass just a little bit. The rest of the drums sound good. Overheads are kind of soft compared to the snare/kick.

Vocal in the chorus is excellent. It seems kind of bobbly in pre-chorus. Like notes aren't hit exactly right. Unless that's the way it was originally done.

Back