Pitch test

MCreel said:
As far as the "bad" notes go, they weren't too terribly bad. quarter to half step off....usually flat.
MCreel has given you some great tips but I did want to make the observation that there's nothing on there that's even close to being a quarter step off ....... quarter step off would be horrendous ........ it would be awful and very obvious and 1/2 step off would just be a wrong note.
But this thread and the attendant advice should be in the hands of all aspiring singers.

BTW ..... nice voice!

Lt. Bob made a pretty good observation but you'd really only notice the quarter step if there was a background vocal along with the song singing harmonies.

The guitar part is fairly stagnant so you don't get a lot of colliding pitches with it, and its just a melody line so a quarter step off would very easily sound like a note that just barely sags rather than causing a majorly discordant sound wave.

A quarter step is such a small interval that a vast majority of people (even a semi-trained ear) won't notice unless there is a competing or complementing tone for it to be compared to.

You would think that singing legato would make singing individual notes easier but thats not necessarily the case. They involve two types of athletic abilities in terms of breathing and controling your airflow. This is true much the same way that singing 8th or 16th notes doesn't make singing a whole note easier, is probably makes it more difficult (because you have to change your entire counting frame of mind.)

I also have a new and much more advanced practice technique for you if you want it. Seeing as how we're talking about quarter steps and such this fits in well with the discussion.

Choose some time frame for your self. 4 beats, 8 beats, 16 beats, etc (the longer the time frame the more difficult) and then choose a tone/note. Slide down or up from the tone/note that you chose (say Middle C) to either B or C# within the amoutn of beats selected. You should hit the target pitch on the last one or two beats.

The trick is to not hit C# with 6 beats left out of 12, but to hit all the middle tones between there, if you can. At first this sounds easy, but it is actually extremely difficult and requires a great deal of breathing skill and also pitch sensitivity. I would highly suggest you not try this until you are well versed with the other exercises listed up above.

Wow great voice!! I hope one day my voice will sound like. I'll be taking voice lessons from cincy kid here soon and I'll be jammin' after that! :cool:

MCreel said:
The guitar part is fairly stagnant so you don't get a lot of colliding pitches with it, and its just a melody line so a quarter step off would very easily sound like a note that just barely sags rather than causing a majorly discordant sound wave.

A quarter step is such a small interval that a vast majority of people (even a semi-trained ear) won't notice unless there is a competing or complementing tone for it to be compared to.
Not that it matters because the advice you've given is very valuable and this particlular issue is not what's important here but I don't agree with that at all. A 1/4 step is a lot and almost anyone would hear it.
Now, if you were a 1/4 step out and slid up or down to the right note then it would just be a stylistic thing .... but to hold it for very long would be very noticable.
For that matter, I would personally hear much, much smaller amounts of being out of tune but I am a piano tuner so I'm extremely aware of pitch although I'm very tolerant of off-keyed stuff. I have a friend who also tunes and he can't stand the least bit of out of tune ..... doesn't affect me so much.
But as a piano tuner I'm saying flat out that on this recording Danny doesn't get near being a 1/4 step off.
Once again ....... not trying to argue but 1/4 step is a lot whether there's harmony vocals or not.

The best way to help with you breathing is sprinting on the tracks. Start just running 100 yards as fast as you can and then walking a hundred. When breathing, pull your diaphram down to inhale and do not raise your shoulders. Do that for 4 laps to start, 2 times a week for about 3 weeks. Then start running 200 yards as fast as you can and walking a hundred. Work your way up to 800 yards but take your time to get there and don't forget to have fun doing it. You body's a machine and if you want it to work it's best you need to take care of it. This will increase the your air volume like nothing else.

The pitch thing is easily correctable too. When you get towards the top of your range or you are tired, think above the note. If you sing the note a little off, it is alot easier to drop down to a note than reach up 'and' it will sound better.

You already have a good sound. Please tell us about that :D What mic and pre are you using? Please tell about the room and mic positioning too.

Cheers!

NYMorningstar said:
What mic and pre are you using? Please tell about the room and mic positioning too.
Cheers!

I actually have a very basic and inexpensive setup. I have a Tascam US-122 Interface plugged into my PC via USB. The mic is an AT3035 (Audio Technica) cardioid. I got the whole setup on special at Guitar Center for a little less than 400 dollars.

I'm recording right out of my bedroom (about 15 X 18 ft) and set the mic up in the center of my room, sat on a stool and mic'd the vocals about 6-10 inches away. The guitar wasn't mic'd at all (hence the crummy sound) and voila, an amateur home recording. Not too exciting...

I'm actually pretty surprised at this.......

With the sound of that recording I would have figured you were in a much more conducive environment and using a larger system than that.

I continue to be impressed.

I think you have a great voice. Alot of singing has to do with confidence and that comes with practice.

Back