pitch->frequency

freaky

I know that A is 440 Hz and that doubling or halving that number will give me an octave. My question is this, is there a formula to figure out the frequency of other pitches in relation to "A=440Hz"? It seems to me that there is an exact relation to each pitch or the twelve tone scale wouldn't be tempered would it? Am I wrong about this?

U know sumthin', I read an article in relation to pitch/freq calculation in a particular recording magazine, however, i'm a bit en-ibriated at the moment...............d@mn... down to only 2 beers
left.............. Oh.sorry! Let me check back with ya' 2-morrow when my equillibrium returns to normal!........"hic".............

No, you are completely correct. The tempered scale has the same relation between each note, so that C#/C = D/C# = D#/D# and so on.

What Regebro is refering to is called beat or solo tuning on a piano. This is where the instument remains in tune with itself. And is referenced from note to note.

The second tuning is often called ensemble tuning where each note is tuned to a reference of A440. This tuning sounds better with other instruments. It's also called straight tuning.

Regardless of the sound, not many are tuned in this fashion.

Back