Piltdown Man here... Question: Really Home Recording?

I got "a room" dedicated to it....sort of leaks out to what is supposed to be the dining room....

my room is not treated at all...I have to record anything mic-ed inbetween 1:00 and 4:00 AM....

I have a 4 bedroom house that I live alone in...
here's a couple of pics.....

sm-248318.jpg

sm-248317.jpg

My entire basement is given over to my "studio" but it IS in my home, hense, "home studio".:D
It's where I dispose of my disposable income.

Village Idiot said:
I work in the basement, in a closed off area I negotiated with the wife...It's my settlement.
Kinda like that little strip of land the Palestinians are in control of.
Should name my studio "Little Palestine".
VI
I'll get worried when you start calling it the Branch Detroitian Compound.

:D

Shit, am I the only one on the board that has a desk with only one monitor on it?

k, I jsut looked through some of the posts again, apparently not,

HevyD47Ca, is that a pair of fine ma10s I see on your desk?
:) (got a pair myself)

I have one (1) room (and a small kitchen and a tiny toilet with a shower). My whole life is in this one (1) room: I sleep, I eat, I entertain my guests and I make love (about once in two years or so) here. All my clothes, books, CDs, DVDs, computers and musical instruments are kept here, even my bowling ball. Everything I own is no further than few steps away. And yes, my "studio" is also here.

BTW, I´m not complaining or playing martyr here. I like to live compact. Even if I had bigger place I would probably gradually gather all my stuff in one corner and spend 99% of my time there. And I have enough trouble keeping this place tidy, just a thought of more rooms to clean horrifies me. I´d love to submit a pic, but I don´t have a digital camera or scanner because I´m so poor :( Well, maybe I can borrow one...

My 'studio' is a spare bedroom in the house, officially known as the computer room, where I have 2 PCs used by my family of 4. My guitars and bass are in the closet, my digital recorder and J-Station sit in a section of the couch. There is also a old Yamaha keyboard on a stand, and don't forget the 3 chairs.

The music I produce measures up to my studio setup.

DC

My studio is in a bedroom in the back of my house. It has its own door to the outside and its own bathroom. The room is perfect for keeping the clients out of the rest of the house.

SLuiCe said:
You're in the home of one-man bands with bad drum samples.

The bad drum samples thing made me laugh.

I record on computer, with decent instruments, decent mics (but limited choices), bad amps, and a mackie board. I record in my living room, which has no upstairs floor above it. In other words, a two story room. And it has walls on only three sides (the 4th side is open to the rest of the house). Whether that helps or hurts I don't know.

And I have a family that doesn't give me nealy enough time to record.

I have a computer desk in a corner of my bedroom. I have my QS-8 and Prophet 5 set up on it, along with a power amp, M-1s, Studiophile 5Bs (real time monitoring) and J-station. And the computer, of course, with external midi box, USB CD burner, and two printers (for music publishing). Cord hanger for cables and cans hangs from the closet door, mics are balanced wherever I can balance em. mic stands double as towel holders, plus there are a couple of suitcases with mics, my VS-840, and more cables. Piano, organ, 335, and dj box live in the living room. Stuff that doesn't fit upstairs is stored in the basement - rhodes, clav, K-station, string ensemble, some odd controllers, mixers, speakers, etc. More keyboard stands, mixers, and speakers on the front porch and in the garage.

Once the daughter moves out (soon, baby, soon!!!), I get her room for this, and the bedroom goes back to bedroom status - may bring up the rhodes, or wheel the Hammond in there too.

Toying with the idea of a pole barn for this after the re-fi goes through - $25k to play with. We'll see.:cool:

Needless to say, my wife is a very patient woman...:D

Daf

My Studio

Is my living room. I have less gear than most. I record direct to CD--no computer. I post from work. For me, I record what I play and sing--while I am playing and singing. I don't post them much because they are covers and NowhereRadio really doesn't like covers and I respect that. I have done some engineering work in multitrack studios, unfortunately I do not have the cash to set one up for myself at this time.

I have recorded others in the same manner--direct to 2 track. One of the persons I recorded has sold over a thousand copies of a her CD. Another I recorded live at a gig has been sold all over the world thanks to the internet. I do a lot live sound production in my job, I find it has much in common with mixing for recording.

Well, I got my hands on my girlfriend's camera and thought I'd show some pics of my ultra modern high tech high budget fancy studio. Note the scientifically designed precision sound proofing and the ultra secure processing unit rack. I took great care in installing these elements into my studio. Also of interest may be my custom designed and built amp room. This room has been acoustically treated for optimum amp soundwave enhancement. And it's HUGE!!!! I'm practically giving away the blueprints for a mere 11,999 USD. Or will trade for decent vocal mic. Send me a PM. We'll talk.

Attachments

• studio.jpg
    studio.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 49
dafduc said:
Once the daughter moves out (soon, baby, soon!!!), I get her room for this...

Amen. :)

Not that I have a daughter or anything....My girlfriend and I just thought that was funny reading it.

Stupid SLuiCe totally pasted his picture wrong. A carpet on the wall...........pffffffffwaahahahahahaa. :D

This looks better (you're welcome):

Attachments

• naamloos.jpg
    naamloos.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 33
Back