Piecing together a drum set?

That_Abbott

I'm not a drummer, but I was wondering if it is ok to piece together a drum set using different brands of drums, where the drums may be made of different materials. If I buy a drum set, I would assume the drums were made to sound good together? However, can I play a snare from brand x, a bass drum from brand y, toms brand z, etc, and have it sound good?
Thanks

Yes!!! Some of the best sounding studio drum sets are often from different kits.

As an example, I prefer the sound of my Birch kick drum, but like the sound of Maple toms. So, I mix & match as needed.

If you piece together a kit for recording - I would suggest you consider smaller size drums - maybe 10" & 14" toms and an 18" or 20" kick. While some people would disagree, many, many drummers and engineers prefer recording with smaller diameter drum shells.

this is what gets me about a lot of drummers... too many of them are cosmetic and want a set that looks the same rather than sound quality. if you piece together a bunch of random drums and you like how they sound, then keep them. why suffer in sound quality because they look funny. if they look funny and it bugs you THAT much, then get them refinished so they look the same

I agree

I agree with both the previous posts, particularly mikeh.
I love my smaller sized shells. they tune lower without sounding flappy like cardboard. I also agree most drummers can probably do with only a 4 piece kit 90% of the time unless they are doing some solo work that requires more for interest. Heck! 90% of the time I could get by with my kick and snare!(and cymbals of course)

Alright then. I think I am going to slowly piece together a drum kit for myself. Nobody is really going to see the thing so I'm not at all going to worry about how the drums look together. I guess I'll buy a snare first since it will get used so much.
Thanks

Go for the snare first if you want, but don't forget to look for good deals on the other components while you're waiting. You don't wanna miss a great opportunity...

Have a good time playing your snare drum :D

Most professionals use pieced together kits in the studio. I've noticed lately that in quite a few interviews, it is usually a mix of various vintage kits (Ludwig, Gretsch, Slingerland, etc).

The same goes for cymbals too. Has anyone else noticed Lars Ulrich using Sabian hihats on that making-of-the-black-album video? He is a die-hard Zildjian endorser.

Back