Pickup Noises

Senor Cactus

I could use some help.

I play a Fender Strat. I've noticed that when I'm on my neck pickup I sometimes hear little "pops" come through my amp. It's not my amp because it does it on my friends amp too and it doesn't happen on the other pickups.

I've determined that it is static electricity from my hand because sometimes it pops even when I'm just rubbing the pickguard with my hand.

Knowing that, I'm not sure how to fix it. Does the pickup need to be replaced? Could it just be something in the wiring? Is there something else that could be causing it?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Senor Cactus,

While I am no "expert" a popping sound as you describe it is typically a short. Because Fender drops the pickups and electronics from the front and the pickup selector is mounted to the pickgaurd; rubbing your hand on the pickgaurd could stress the short. If the popping only occurs when the lead pickup is soloed I would suspect the switch it self, if the popping occurs in any setting involving the lead pickup I would suspect the wiring of the pickup. It does not sound like a grounding short problem or all pickups would be affected.

I hope this helps and a local guitar shop should be able to debug this for little $.

Scooter

Nope, not the cord. It does it with every cord I have.

It could very well be a short or something in the wiring though. I'll have to open it up and take a look. Not like I'll be able to fix it, but I might see it anyway.

Back