Pickup height question

Well, you set them so they sound good, but my general rule of thumb is to set them so that when you fret the highest fret, the neck pickup is about 1/8th of an inch away from the strings. Set both the low and high E strings this way, then balance all the strings with the screw pole pieces. Then set the bridge pickup so its output matches the neck pickup. Some people like to set the bridge pickup just a bit hotter than the bridge, so they can get a bit of a volume boost when they solo, but that is a preference thing.

Actually, all of that is a preference thing. You might like the sound more with the pickups backed off a bit. You are not going to want to go any CLOSER than that, but if you back the pickups off a bit it will give you a cleaner, more bell like sound.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Well, you set them so they sound good, but my general rule of thumb is to set them so that when you fret the highest fret, the neck pickup is about 1/8th of an inch away from the strings. Set both the low and high E strings this way, then balance all the strings with the screw pole pieces. Then set the bridge pickup so its output matches the neck pickup. Some people like to set the bridge pickup just a bit hotter than the bridge, so they can get a bit of a volume boost when they solo, but that is a preference thing.

Actually, all of that is a preference thing. You might like the sound more with the pickups backed off a bit. You are not going to want to go any CLOSER than that, but if you back the pickups off a bit it will give you a cleaner, more bell like sound.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Is this a good rule as far are singles coils as well as humbuckers too? I have a couple of Teles that I'm trying to get the pickups balanced and the fewer times I have to remove those 8 pickguard screws the better for me....:)

Hamer studio rules!!!

Love my Hamer Studio....most under rated E-guitar out there.
I prefer to have the pups a little on the low side as it allows a cleaner sound and more sustain when I want. Still dirties up nice tho....

chazba

Is this a good rule as far are singles coils as well as humbuckers too? I have a couple of Teles that I'm trying to get the pickups balanced and the fewer times I have to remove those 8 pickguard screws the better for me....:)

Well, in overall concept it is always right. You set the neck pickup, and then adjust the bridge to either match, or to be just a bit louder. As far as how high you want it, you'll need to experiment to find what you like. If you want a real country Tele, you might drop them down just a bit for a slightly cleaner sound, but then maybe not. Try it, then try it a little lower, and see what you think. I know some Strat players like their pickups really low, because it gives a really bell like chime to the tone. I like them higher than that, usually, but you'll never know what your after until you've tried some different things.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Back