Pick Ups Microphonic?

Bighand

The earlier Les paul thread prompted me to whip out my Classic this weekend and I've become irritated...

The 496R/500T pick ups are too noisy. Mainly on the bridge pickup I get pick noise and fret hand slide sounds to the point it is not useable. That is a shame. It sounds great for rythym thump progressions, but don't think about speed picking as the pick noise is undesirable.

From reading, microphonic pickups will feedback. This is not my case. Gibson says get it to a warranty service center for evaluation. The service center says it happens once in awhile but will not say what it is.

Anyone heard of this phenomenon?

[:D]

TexRoadkill said:
Are you using a shitload of compression and distortion?

Please Tex...The language...

What he meant was are you using a Fuckwad of distortion or a bungfull of Compression?

:p

Fangar

www.billlawrence.com

Known for no noise, and unbelievable character/sound for whatever you want. Did wonder's to my friend's ibanez, now its bluesy, metally, everything. I've just ordered one.

Eric Johnson uses them, i'd suggest DEFINITELY checkin em out, his guitar is noiseless and now he's super sensitive and only loves his guitar as every other guitar has noise.

DEFINITELY check it out, and very low prices too.

I've been looking at them lately for my alder bodied humbucker guitar. They recommended a 465 with a 250k pot, $56.
Great deal.

I see alot of these on e-bay, but they do NOT appear to be from "Wilde". Are those the imposters I always hear about(Harm-Central) ?

probably...heh, check out the reviews at harmony central for the REAL bill lawrences, don't get em used, there cheap enough as it, try em out, there SO good. I'd recommend calling Bill Lawrence, and getting him to recommend you to pickups based on the sound(s) you want. He did a great job for my friend. This guy is a genius when it comes to guitars/pickups, he knows way much and man can he make pickups.

Bighand,

Microphonic pickups are usually a result of not being potted or not potted correctly.
Potting means the pickup is put into a pot or bath of melted wax which works it's way into all the windings and supresses unwanted noise.
There are many who will do this for you, contact stewmac.com they will be able to point you in the right direction.
Clive

This has been a cool thread. Thanks guys. I may just check into these Bill Lawrence pick-ups.

Back