Pianoteq

maxman65

Was looking into pianoteq standard . Says it's like only 50mb file size .are modelling type libraries more taxing to the CPU? Also what the cheapest entry to pianoteq

I have been using the stage version for years. Everything I need is there, and I’ve added some extras when I was doing some old and boring classical music with my concert pianist friend. I upgraded to 8, but that added stuff I’ve never used. Processor overhead is so slight, I’ve never even noticed. Their system is approved by some real heavyweight manufacturers. I also really like the Rhodes electric I added as an upgrade, years back. It just works, and despite having some very nice and huge sample based pianos, pianoteq is a real winner. My friend explained it also mimics some of the really tricky pedalling techniques, which the sample based packages do not.

Yes I've seen good reviews on this company on various youtube. That might be my next thing . Will it load into place into cubase ai 12 for example

You should download the demo - fully functioning except a couple of B flats don't work, and it times out after 20 mins.
If you are not amazed, then I will be surprised!
The basic version is slighty limited, I quickly upgraded to standard (many versions ago).
Apart from the quality of the sound and the ease of changing any of the parameters of it, the low latency is one of the best features.

It's fine on Cubase 12 in all versions. The demo function is actually very useful so you can try things you haven't got and upgrade if you like them.

Just re read a message. ok it's like a deliberately inhibited thing where a few keys dont work ? It times out after each 20 minutes of use or a single first 20 minutes ?

The demo never runs out, just the missing notes and 20 min run time. I have for years recommended Pianoteq to "newbs" just starting with MIDI because it is so simple to setup and will play (piano) MIDI files.

Dave.

Many thanks . The laptop is connected to the modx keyboard by a usb b cable or something so I think this is audio? . Not sure of the technical stuff

Just data usually - the pianoteq sounds are created from your soundcard/interface, and just driven via the keyboard. I've just started the pianoteq standalone app on this mac and it asks you to tell it was device you want to drive it with in the settings - it starts up with a screen telling you where to look.

Excellent also was significant to learn that it's 20 minutes per rather than one off that allows time to absorb the sounds . Do you know if the sounds of stage is basically the same as standard without as much editing capablitly this is also significant

Update . Downloaded the demo . Yes a definate step up from the spitfire one I have. Much more velocity dynamic . K2 and u4 might be the ones .still having spongy kind of responsiveness issues probably latency I guess . I'm still finding potential in blending to get immediacy of attack from a modx preset and depth of velocity colour and tone variation from the pianoteq . Ton of experimentation

Last edited:
Latency is a really annoying feature - My excellent pianist friend swapped his entire computer because his brain could not cope with the few mS of delay before finger movement turned into sound.

I feels very wierd you sense it's being triggered rather than responding.its kind of strangely spongey. The layering is a good trick if it's blended right I also flattened off the top of the velocity curve on the pianoteq so it doesn't poke through hitting hard and make it sound unbalanced with the layer . Only problem is a ping pong delay which sounds fine if I can figure out how to dial it back lower in the modx

Back