Pianolike Keyboard for about $200

Bane01

Like Yeah!
Hi,

I am currently searching for a MIDI keyboard costing $200 or under (still pretty flexible) to replace my Casio LK90TV. Since this is a rather low price for keyboards, I am not very particular as far as features. Preferably it would have 76-88 keys that are as heavy as possible to emulate the piano’s touch. It will be used with Cubase Essential 5 to control my future piano VSTi, Steinberg’s Grand 3.

I have Googled a bit, and have found some nice looking keyboards, but was wondering what those of you who have worked with far more keyboards than I have would recommend in this price range.

Thanks!

I'm not sure you can find any NEW keyboard with a 76 key weighted keyboard for that amount. Try searching your local Craigslist for used keyboards.

For that price I think your best option is to watch big box stores like Sams Club and Costco and electronics stores for blowouts on consumer digital pianos and keyboards. This happens every once in a while when a manufacturer discontinues a model they will have racks and stacks in costco. I picked up an 88 key fully weighted Yamaha digital piano with stand and stool for $500 at a Sams blowout. The action is killer - better than my yamaha upright acoustic piano. I don't use the onboard speakers - just midi out. If you can get up into this price range you will be much happer in the long run - ESPECIALLY if you are a piano player. With that said I've seen plenty of stuff there in the 200 to 300 range. Just wont offer the kind of expression control you get with a better keyboard. Most cheepies will also only have a sustain pedal input....

Also - don't know what kind of music u play but - the Grand is decent but not mind blowing. Sampletekk makes some great piano libraries. Cinesamples Piano in blue is pretty damn awesome but may not suit your style.

Cinesamples Intros Piano in Blue, Featuring The ‘Kind Of Blue’ Piano » Synthtopia

Hi,

I am currently searching for a MIDI keyboard costing $200 or under (still pretty flexible) to replace my Casio LK90TV. Since this is a rather low price for keyboards, I am not very particular as far as features. Preferably it would have 76-88 keys that are as heavy as possible to emulate the piano’s touch. It will be used with Cubase Essential 5 to control my future piano VSTi, Steinberg’s Grand 3.

I have Googled a bit, and have found some nice looking keyboards, but was wondering what those of you who have worked with far more keyboards than I have would recommend in this price range.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses, guys. I will be checking out Craigslist and Samsclub as frequently as I can. I'll also let you know what I find to see if it's a decent keyboard!

I did look at Sampletekk; it seems to have the same pianos as the Grand 3. Do you think the samples would work with Halion One?
I don't have Sonic or 4.5.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I will be checking out Craigslist and Samsclub as frequently as I can. I'll also let you know what I find to see if it's a decent keyboard!

I did look at Sampletekk; it seems to have the same pianos as the Grand 3. Do you think the samples would work with Halion One?
I don't have Sonic or 4.5.

I don't know if they work with Halion 1. I use it with my ancient version of Halion 3 circa 2004. It's basically just a folder of samples with .fxp files. White grand is a very good pop piano.

Yeah, I guess HalionOne isn't technically a sampler. Interesting that you say the Grand 3 is inferior to Sampletekk, because after a little research, I found out that Sampltekk were actually the ones to record and edit the piano samples in the Grand 3. I mostly compose solo piano (modern), so what is the widest, most magnificent concert grand piano that Sampletekk has created in your opinion? There seem to be alot of choices on the front page!

Another route to go for anyone interested is to buy Halion 4 and load the Sampletekk samples into it. In addition, I read that Halion 4 also includes the Grand 3's piano samples as well. That way you can start with the Grand 3 samples and add on as your budget allows. ;)

Back