Piano on "Assim"???

Douhgy

I've posted this song as we've made progress in the tracking. We just added a piano part to it. I would love to hear anyone's opinion about this song. Do you like the piano? What is good/bad about this song/arrangement?

The mixdown is just a hack... you will probably hear a little distortion at the beginning.

Assim:

opening guitar sounds nice man....good part too...nice groove. Harmony..ya...use it. Ya man ..the track screams for piano...might want to think about a piano fill where that 1st drum fill is.
I'd def. bring the piano up in the final mix...this shit reminds me of Joe Jackson. I like it man...nice n' soft. I dig the drums. nice song...good structure...nice production...mix needs work, but the roots are there. Overall..good job Doughy. Nothin bad to say.

Sounds good. I really like the guitar. And actually...the piano sounds pretty good already, I'm not sure you should do anything with it. If you really think it needs more, then only add a smidge of volume. However, I think it will do well without it. Vocals are the only thing that I could use more of. The guitar seems to more of the center of attention to me than the vocals. When the harmonies join in during the chorus, that's when you can bring it back down maybe to the original volume. I like the snare sound too. Nice job overall. :cool:

PS., I'd be interested in known what techniques you tried on the instruments (mics, mic placement, effects, mixing, etc.) I'm always up for learning new things.

Honestly....everything. If you have the time to tell me the entire process, I'd like to hear what you did. But specifically the guitar and drums. What mics, etc. And what you did to mix it all, too. What techniques you use when mixing (where do you put your drums, how much you compress, etc.) Like I said, I like learning what other people do.

About the recording techniques...

We used a pretty nice Neumann mic for the guitars and vocals. For the guitars, we place the neumann up close to my Martin Acoustic guitar, and also placed another mic about 3 feet away. The room was absolutely dead, lots of foam. We figured we could always add reverb later. We aimed the mic toward the right hand so that it would pick up some of the transients of the plucking.

For drums, we miced every piece, plus a right and left overhead condenser mic. we placed a D6 inside the kick drum in hopes to get a real clean snappy sound. Unfortuneatly, i have had to add a lot of compression to get any slap out of it in the mixdown. Like I said, the mix that you have been hearing is pretty hacked, but I now have an updated version that I will post soon. We used sm57s on the toms, but they sucked. The toms weren't tuned very well either, so I left them quiet in the mix. We added some triangle and Shaker to the rythym to glue the drums together a little.

The bass was recorded with a DI box, and I cut almost everything below 100 HZ so that the bass wouldn't mud everything up. The Piano was direct in from a Roland keyboard so it was real easy to mix.

Oh yeah, the snare was showing up in almost ALL of the drum tracks due to mic bleed. To resolve this, we went through every track and cut the snare out where possible. This made the kick sound a little choppy at times, so we did it pretty carefully. It really cleaned everything up though, and gave us a lot more control when using EQ on all of the drums. Before we did that, it was almost impossible to get things sounding the way we wanted. (Turning up the highs on the kick made the snare sound really obnoxious... etc.)

Cool, thanks for telling me what you did. What Neumann mic did you use on the guitars, do you remember?? I really like the sound you got out of it. Any EQ on the guitars too?? Thanks again.

Yeah man, I'm diggin' it. Sounds really good. Guitar sounds better too....less reverb than last time?? Also, watch out at about 50sec. into it...I'm getting some sort of distortion signal in the right channel right on the down beat. It may be the speakers I'm listening in on...but you might want to check it. Also on the chorus I could use more of the harmonies. For some reason I'm wanting the 5th to come out louder on that first 8 bars of the chorus. I think it's an E. Maybe 'cause it's the one note that sustains in both chords. Just my opinion though. Piano sounds a lot better and the tom roll around 2:53 sounds a lot more natural. Props to it all!

I have the older version on my computer still, I've always liked this song. The piano does add more to it.

Great performance and a great production!

Back