piano and distorted drums

IanW-UK

Hi all, I've been having some probs with my arm so guitar playing is out for me at the moment. So in the meantime I decided to have a mess around with 2 areas that I don't feel very confident mixing. Piano and distorted drum sounds. The mix is prolly a bit swamped with verb but apart from that do you guys have any tips on the mix of said things? Or mixing pianos in general especially? Does the piano sound realistic? or just shite? :D

Cheers all,

Ian...........

interesting piece of music ian. would go well with some rap rock vocals i think ;)

the bass is a little subsonic in this. that kick drum was the same way in the last thing you posted and i forgot to mention it. nice loops, it's just the kick is a little too much on the ultra low end.

sorry to hear about your arm.

Dude. This is pretty cool. I'd say lay off a bit on that verb on the drums. The piano sounds good. Really full. I Dig the reverse effect when the drums first come in.

I think some kind of spoken word (as mentioned) or a soprano female voice would go good on this.

WATYF

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it :) I've been making a concious effort not to put a high pass on everything, but I guess I should on stuff like kicks and bass. Still learning :)

Here's the "no effects" version. Thought I'd post it for your amusement :D

Thanks Elephant, the reversed bit is a section or the drum track reversed and then automated to pan from left to center (the panning effect is a bit weak because there's loads of reverb on it from a stereo send). Then there's 2 identical tracks panned hard left and right with a reversed snare (I think it was a snare, forgot) with one moved slightly later than the other.

Cheers,

Ian.........

Back