Piano and acoustic guitar oh my!!!

TK3RECORDS

"Letters to Knives"

This track was recorded with an old out of tune piano (no synths!) and a couple of accoustic guitars.

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

edit: Haha I just realised that the end of the file has some of our studio shananagans. Enjoy.

Patience. 20min is hardly enough time for a significant number of people to listen to and comment on your tune. Expect about 1 comment for every 10 listens. Anyway, I can't get you link to work, so I'll try again later.

Alright, it is playing now. Almost 9MB is pretty hefty for an mp3. Ayway, nice clean recording. Compressed, but still retains some nice dynamics. The vocals are too low in the mix.

Yeah, get rid of all that stuff after 4:30 to make the file smaller so folks don't have to wait forever on the download.

TK3RECORDS said:
"Letters to Knives"

This track was recorded with an old out of tune piano (no synths!) and a couple of accoustic guitars.

QUOTE]

Pretty nice. What type of acoustic guitar did you use to get the drum sounds?
;)

some of the vocals get a little pitchy.

All in all pretty nice

tmix said:
Pretty nice. What type of acoustic guitar did you use to get the drum sounds?
;)

some of the vocals get a little pitchy.

All in all pretty nice

I am not sure what type of acoustic guitar it was. But the drums were a Tama Star-Classic Performer.

Yeah, he isn't a singer at all. This project was just something him and his friend were jamming with and wanted to record it.

Hmm... Sounds pretty nice - it's a very nice tune. Nice tune I like it.

I wish I could get a goood recording like that when I was just "jamming".

scrubs said:
Yeah, get rid of all that stuff after 4:30 to make the file smaller so folks don't have to wait forever on the download.

I have uploaded a new version that doesn't have 4+ minutes of silence at the end.

As a whole this song has a really good raw feeling to its sound. I like the dynamic range not being pressed into a flat emotionless line with overdone compression. The piano on this though is less dynamic than the rest. When the ac gtr comes in during the intro it's a night and day difference in realistic dynamics. But even with the piano tuning issue, I think it'd sound best with the same raw feel as the rest.

Enjoyed it.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
As a whole this song has a really good raw feeling to its sound. I like the dynamic range not being pressed into a flat emotionless line with overdone compression. The piano on this though is less dynamic than the rest. When the ac gtr comes in during the intro it's a night and day difference in realistic dynamics. But even with the piano tuning issue, I think it'd sound best with the same raw feel as the rest.

Enjoyed it.

Tim

Yeah I agree with the piano. Being slightly out-of-tune on the lower notes I think gave it some good raw character. Thanks for the comments!

Does anyone have any comments on how to make the mix better. I know I have to bring the vocals up but I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on how to make it even better.

Get a bass guitar in there to fill up the lo end.
Bring the piano up a tad and maybe add some lo end meat on the piano, but might not need it depending on if you add a bass guitar.
Piano sounds real good when you do the dynamic bits at the start.
Nice stuff.

Back