Phonics Consoles?

free_d20

anybody heard of them? i was told they are a branch of yamaha, but i was wondering if they are good quality or just junk. they were kinda cheap too.

I picked up a Phonics mixer to use as a drum/percussion mixer (I was useing a Spirit Note Pad - but needed a few more XLR inputs).

While I would not use this mixer for studio work - for a live mixer it works fine. Not much noise and all the signals get from point A to point B.

I've used this things dozens of times in crappy conditions (which is why I wanted a cheap mixer) like outdoor festivals, etc. with no problems.

hmm, well actually that is kinda what im looking for. i was looking for a simple mixer console with enough inputs for a live gig. to be more specific, this is what i was looking at:

http://www.phonic.com/mm-impact2.htm

what caught my attention was it had 16 pre's... and that it's not that ugly... jeje

I picked up a Phonics mixer last year to sub-mix drums and percussion live. I've used my mixer dozens of times in crappy conditions, outdoor festivals, etc (which is why I wanted a low cost mixer) and it's worked fine. Not much noise, and it gets the signal from point A to point B wth no problems.

I've never used a Behringer mixer, so I can't compare - but the Phonics compares well to the Spirit Note Pad I sometimes use (the Phonics has more inputs - which is another reason I got it.)

While this is not a mixer I would choose to use in my home studio, it has worked fine as a live sub-mixer.

free_d20 said:
hmm, well actually that is kinda what im looking for. i was looking for a simple mixer console

Stop calling it console!

This is a console. The Phonic and Behringer stuff are MIXERS!

Hooked on Phonics? Anyone?

Console... mixer and desk.... all the same thing.... Your Gameboy is console.... flight decks are reffered to as consoles too.

Now the phonics thing is neither... like the Behringers and mini-mackies are not mixers, these are called conboobulators. Jeesh..you guys should have gotten this in recording definitions 101. Fer Shame!

SoMm

p.s. Regebro... Im only about a 2hr drive from that Neve :)

SoMm

Re: the first post... Phonic isn't Yamaha, right? I thought it was a branch of Roland.

Of the bottom-end mixers, I've heard relatively good things about the cheap Yamahas.

regebro said:
I could go for that. :)

http://www.bartleby.com/61/48/C0584800.htm

Notice that "Game console" is a distortion of the usage of the word "console" as the huge table with the user interface for a computer.

Heh heh :)

Phonics....console..huge ...distortion...Yup everything makes sense :)

SoMm

Only the more expensive yamahas sound ok, most of the cheap stuff have IC based preamps that are thin and brittle.

Nope. It's a completely independent Taiwanese (well, Formosan)company that makes knockoffs and very low-end hardware. They do have a website: http://www.phonic.com/ . They've improved it since they first put it up- it was _really_ sad.

Roland and Yamaha wouldn't touch these guys, I don't think. I was very amused to see their Behringer knockoffs, though. Amazing.

Yeah... I'd buy from this company....

:rolleyes:

You can tell it's quality just from the description on their website (in this case, for their cheap-ass monitors):

Phonic's first design of studio monitor, a combination of 8-inch woofer and 1-inch tweeter, inexpensive yet sounds extraordinary. Not only does P8 give you everything you need to hear, it also does no harm to your most precious treasure—your ears. From 45Hz to 20KHz, P8 ensures you of all the details of the replay. With the built-in 24dB/oct Linkwitz-Riliey filter, you just might hear something on your record that you have never heard. And when is the last time that the price of Phonic did not surprise you? Drop by in a local dealer, and get ready to be shocked, both by the cost and by the performance. P8, Phonic’s new best hurray.

P8a, a twin model of P8, features with an additional built-in amplifier, 150 watts for the low frequency and 75 for the high, is also available..

Big f@@kin yikes....!

Back