Phonic Helix Users...

lukirocks

Hi Folks,

I bought a new Phonic Helix 24 Firewire yesterday, and i'm really liking it so far. Only problem is that i have no idea how to silence my monitors without killing my headphone signal because the same knob controls both.

There are two diagrams in the manual for hooking up monitors. One is for live band multi-track recording, which says that the monitors hook up through the control room outs. K, works fine.

The other diagram is for studio recording. This one says to hook the monitors up through DSP Effect Outputs L and R. Okay, only slight noise with my monitors, no music. Headphones still work normally though.

I normally use a toneport UX2, and this thing is just killing it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lukirocks said:
I normally use a toneport UX2, and this thing is just killing it!
The Toneport is a soundcard. The Phonic Helix is also a soundcard. The Toneport connects thru USB and the Helix connects thru Firewire. They are obviously incompatable as demonstrated by your lack of success in using both at the same time.

You will need to pick one or the other and uninstall the unused one. When you're finished reverse the process. If this sound too like too much of a pain in the ass, consider selling one of them.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear...

:(

I don't think you understood my post...

I am not trying to use both at the same time. There are two ways that the phonic manual shows how to hook up monitors. The phonic headphone volume control and monitor volume control are controlled by the same control knob. I was just wondering if any other users have had any luck in routing the signal differently, like it shows in the manual (but isn't working for me)

I was just saying that i like this better than my toneport. I will continue to use my toneport though, but will have to change audio devices to do so in Sonar. No biggy.

lukirocks said:
I don't think you understood my post..I will continue to use my toneport though, but will have to change audio devices to do so in Sonar. No biggy.
'No biggy'.

Hmmmm.

Maybe Sonar is more flexible than I thought, but I suspect you are going to have problems trying to change hardware from software.

If it's no biggy to you it no biggy to me either.

hi lukirocks - yeah having the same 'problem' with the helix 24...

the "control room" concept seems to be designed for studios which provide headphones for the recording musician (in the booth) while the engineer listens on the monitors in a separate roome - rather than the home studio approach which is to turn down the monitors during a take (since the monitors are in the same room)

it's a bit of a pain - i was using a Soundcraft Spirit M12 into an Edirol FA101 and the M12 had separate level controls for phones and monitors... which i thought was standard.

in the mean time i've hooked my monitors up to the main L/R output which i turn down using the master volume during recording - but this can't be the final solution - i've got to be missing something.

i'm now trying to figure out if i can use either one of the the "Groups" or the "Aux Send" to get it to the monitors... only problem is there aren't left and rights (whereas i need a TRS or XLR for each monitor)

still haven't figured out all the monitoring options though. there's lots of choice so i'm assuming that i've missed something.

oh and have you had any issues with a difference in volume of the signal (in the headphones) for firewire return and the L/R monitor. my firewire return seems very faint compared to the L/R signal. this has implications because when i'm setting the gains i'm not really sure which one to use.

if i set them based on the L/R monitor (which is fairly hot - meaning i set the gain low) i then get a faint signal to my computer (using Logic Express).

if i set them based on the firewire return (weak signal = i turn up the gain) i then get a hotter signal

is there something i'm not doing right? how do i match the signals? i didn't seem to have this prob with my FA101 / M12 combination.

you set your levels based on the meters on your recording software. this will show you what is being recorded.

Back