Phill Collins/Frida - Smethign Going On

PenguinKiller

What effect did Phil use on the Frida track called: "Something Going On"?
Im reffering to that snare that seems to keep echoing back in time or soemthing like that.

Hi-

I'm going only by memory... Phil Collins was one of the first drummers to start using Gated reverbs... that is, a reverb in which the tail was gated... this could be used to be "in-time" with the music. You'll notice on this song, the reverb sounds the same on both the snare as well as the kick.

This technique, incidentally, was helped come into being through Hugh Pagdam (sp)... engineer for Stewart Copeland and the Police.

Again, this is my memory... destroyed over the years by fine wine

Phil Collins, same memory serving, also utilized a recording technique, made famous with the song "In the Air Tonight", using just two mic's, compressed to hell and back.

Granted, I'm sure it takes some special mics, experimental placement, and tones of ear talent, but I'm sure you (or myself) could get in the ballpark this day and age, with a little experimenting!

Good luck!

Chad

I have never heard the song, but if you are talking about that verby '80s snare sound that always reminds me of Tears for Fears then I'd love to know how to get it. I think it could come as useful knowledge.

Back