Philips Philicorda- any opinions?

Mr Fruit

Turned down one of these the other day at a jumble sale, as I have had mixed experiences with old keyboards, they either sound great-which is nice, but more often sound crap, then i cant re sell them on ebay because they are too heavy to post.

I decided not to get although it could have been a good price...£25, was I wrong?

phil4.jpg

I'm not sure that this was the EXACT model, but if not, it was very close, same shape, wood, legs, maybe the buttons were very slightly different, it had very old style outputs underneath-speaker, headphone, pedals etc.....

I've never heard of them before, but they seem to be quite well-thought of for that early 1960s combo sound.

Here's someone playing some Mike Oldfield on one:
http://www.wikizic.org/Philips-Philicorda-GM-760/video-6y-Fj1IlmVQ.htm

Unless it was completely wrecked and needed recapping, or unless like me, you're hopeless at playing live keyboards, £25 would have been a good deal.

EDIT:
Yeah, it seems to be a cheap way of getting a Farfisa-like sound. If you're into that sort of music, letting it go may have been a mistake...

yeah, it looks cool, but they often do and sound crap, or so bontempi like that they are unusable.

It was at a car boot sale, and I think the guy was a trader, so theres a chance he will be there again.

Ill have a listen to that link now. Ta.:)

Whoops. loooks like I may have scored a bit of an own goal there.......:p

It seems to be the same machine used on tubular bells......lmao...

win some you lose some....:)

It seems to be the same machine used on tubular bells......lmao...

If I remember my sleeve notes, Tubular Bells used a Lowrey organ, a Farfisa and a Hammond.
I don't recall one of these being credited, though it can evidently make that kind of sound.

I have that exact model, they sound very nice, but the tonal possibilities are not very wide. A band here in Holland uses it through an old tube amp. Great for garage rock.

Back