Phase reversal

Moley1390

Canberran Amatuer
Today for a bit of fun i miked a grand piano with an NT1-a and a custom SDC (Think NT5 bred with NT3) on the top (nt1a over where the strings cross, the other on the higher trebles) but i also miked from under the soundboard with two nt5s. With these sounds combined, panned hard accordingly, the piano sound is huge and lush. Just wondering if i should reverse the phase of the mikes under the piano or not - Seeing as they would have a natural reverse phase anyway, the particular frequency boosts shouldn't be too great, right?. Also, since the mics and sounds are so different, is it an issue? I really love the sound that i'm hearing, but i want to know whether that's just a fluke due to the eq implied by mixing these sounds together, or whether it is a repeatable set-up that will sound similar next time...

You can reverse the phase after you record and choose the sound you like then. No matter what phase your mics are in you will have comb filtering because of the different distances the mics are from the strings. Moving the mics around can act as a type of eq. You already love the sound you are hearing so there's nothing to fix really.

Cool. Thanks for that... i think i'll keep them in phase. So if i wanted to repeat this, i'd just have to play with the mics until i've found the spot that caused the pleasant comb filter?

Back