Phase correction

fuquam

When recording drums I use 57 on snare, 52 on bass, and two overheaad condensors in a Y pattern. I have that part down. I mix each one at a time and everything sounds great individually. Once I go to mix the 4 tracks together the snare seems to get canceled out a bit. I guessing this is due to phasing from the overheads. I don't have a "reverse phase" option on my board or in my software. So my questions are 1. Do you think this is in fact a phasing issue? 2. How can I correct it?
Thanks.

some software programs call it "Invert" instead. And it may not always be in a mixer window...but an offline process. What program are you using?
You can also solder a cable to switch pins 2/3 on one end of it...this will switch the polarity of the signal.

also, in your software...can you physically see the snare being out of phase. Software programs are great for showing this....then you can physically adjust the delay of the tracks.

Here's an example:
https://img471.imageshack.us/img471/1427/before1ws.jpg

Order of tracks are top snare, bottom snare, OH L and OH R
Notice the top and bottom snare are out of phase, as well as the top/btm snare being out of phase (and out of time) from the OHs

Back