Phase cancellation

Shack

I am trying to merge two bass sounds and I am getting phase canecellation at times. Can I fix this in anyway?

Oh sorry, I should have said, it's 2 different synth basses for one song and a live bass and synth bass for another

I aint too sure how you could fix that. Only thing i can think of is to use a different sound for the synth or maybe take some bass frequnecies away from the synth part which might solve some phase canceling.

This sounds like an arrangement issue. Try not having the 2 bass lines in the same octave. Otherwise it is caused by a timing issue coupled with the fact that you have them both panned to the same spot.

Are you mixing in a DAW?

If so, just zoom in pretty close to both the tracks and "slip edit" one of them so that the waveforms are both going + and - at the same time.

I have had double tracked stuff come to me that was somewhat out of phase between a DI and mic signal. They don't even have to be 180 degrees out of phase for this to be a problem. Anyway, you just move one of the track in the time line to match the other and you have pretty much fixed the problem. It will be obvious when you zoom in fairly close.

Back