Phase an issue with ORTF?

mcfoo

I was in a local audio store looking at mic stands. I told the salesman that I was looking for a tall stand, and that I would be using 2 sdc mics in ORTF. He said I would have to reverse phase in one of the mics to get a good recording. I have not seen a reference to this requirement in this forum. Is he right?

No it is not. ORTF sound like ORTF because of the phase difference between the mics, for a part. There's no reason to flip the phase.

mcfoo said:
He said I would have to reverse phase in one of the mics to get a good recording.
He probably also thinks you should get your levels "as close to -0dBFS as you can without clipping."

But no, you shouldn't have to flip the polarity. I have no idea where he got that from.

Thanks for the replies. I thought as much, but he said he had a lot of experience installing mics.

mcfoo said:
Thanks for the replies. I thought as much, but he said he had a lot of experience installing mics.
And if he said wolverines made good house pets, would you believe him? :eek:

Sorry, I can't resist the chance to quote John Candy and diss salesmen at the same time! :D :D :D

mcfoo said:

He's an idiot.

Let me guess, it was Guitar Center, right?

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

mcfoo said:
"Installing mics"? If those are the actual words he used, ask him for me just how long it took him to learn the fine art of sliding the mic into a mic clip.

ORTF is nothing more than a specific type ofr stereo pair setup, like X/Y is but with different positioning. No polarity switching involved.

G.

ask him if he hired a blueprint detailer to come up with the custom millwork to "fasten" the mics to. And while you're at it, ask him if he uses nails or screws.

I've "installed" many tires after a flat. I still couldn't even tell you the difference between a radial......and whatever another kind is.

Back